Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
mark is right... i'm running pretty much that ring package on my boosted engine... good stuff.. and as far as pistons are concerned, he's the man to go to on sbf pistons... so he would know whats available and whats not.. may could search summit's website and see if they have any icon's in stock or dss... or whatever else they sell thats forged and could work

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Cracked piston...
Wood Material property Gas Jewellery Art

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Doh!
At least is was obvious? (Trying to make it less sucky).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Doh!
At least is was obvious? (Trying to make it less sucky).
I had to look closely and there it was. I'm actually relieved that I didn't pull the engine for nothing.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'd like to just hone the cylinders and install new bearings, rings and forged pistons. Then I had a thought. Will the rotating assembly need to be balanced?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Depends on several factors. You get a piston, ring and pin that is close you can let it ride
Do you happen to know the cc's of the stock pistons?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I dont know, the numbers seem to he all over the place 4.5-5-6cc lol
Lol. I had a feeling. It sure would be nice to find pistons, pins and rings close in weight to stock. With machinists backed up; who knows how long I'd wait for a balance job.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Balancing is the easy stuff, that's just a few hours labor. It's the hard parts and having 50 blocks on backorder that's the hard part.
I hear you. It doesn't make your job easy. Hopefully; things will pick up for you and others.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Summit has some SBF forged pistons in stock. Most are 30 over, so you would need to bore. Obviously you will need to check reliefs, compression height, ring lands, etc, but there might be something you can use here.

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Summit has some SBF forged pistons in stock. Most are 30 over, so you would need to bore. Obviously you will need to check reliefs, compression height, ring lands, etc, but there might be something you can use here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Find one piston to replace the broken one, balance it to the one that's broke then slap it together and have fun. It's just a street car so no need to build it to race specs.. Slap it together and get on with it.

ks
I don't want to risk cracking another piston. It sucks pulling the turbo kit off and then the engine.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Dang. Cracked the ring landings on the piston. Alright well hyper replacement pistons or forged pistons need to work on the tune so this doesn't happen again with hyper or forged. Saw some pictures of your turbo set up in another post need the o2 sensors in the down pipe after the turbo. Anybody else agree?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Dang. Cracked the ring landings on the piston. Alright well hyper replacement pistons or forged pistons need to work on the tune so this doesn't happen again with hyper or forged. Saw some pictures of your turbo set up in another post need the o2 sensors in the down pipe after the turbo. Anybody else agree?
I really don't believe it's tune related. The tune is way too conservative.
I have a WB in the down pipe.
Bicycle Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Bicycle frame
Carbon Bicycle part Electric blue Metal Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Oh alright. What was the engine management system?
Pimpxs. I'm only running 12° of timing and afr's of 10.8 to 11.0 at WOT. I don't lug the engine as a rule.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts