Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice guys, my new short block is bad, bad, bad. Everything is explained below, and any technical advice and or business advice would help.

I bought a fresh short block 342 from Coast High Performance (CHP), with a basic build up (normal aspirated, baby cam) and from day one it burnt oil and blew white smoke at idle and under throttle. I checked plugs and 3 were completely pitch black, so I changed em all… When I hit 900 miles I pulled one spark plug that was bad b4, and did a leak down test, and found 55% leakage. CHP sent a driver (I am local to them) to pick up the block (complete from pan to tb) to see what they can do. Once they got it, there was some drama but in the end, they told me they tested all cylinders, and that leak down was under 10% in all, and that my pcv valve was the culprit. When I got the engine back (just last Thursday)- I had the valve cover removed and rockers taken off to assure all valves were closed, and I did another leak down test (with a new Snap-On tool)- the same 55% cylinder was 55%, and other cylinders were bad too. I could hear air blowing into the crankcase, no air went out the exhaust or into the intake. Do you think they really did a leak down test?

So now what? Any tech tricks to seal it up, or does it need to be torn down honed/re-ringed, or rebored? Any ideas on how to get CHP to take responsibility, or on what I should do from here to get my engine working.

Additionally, since CHP seams REAL RESISTNAT to taking responsibility, what recourse do I have. I think b/c I paid with discover card I may have protection there, and there is always small claims court. But every time I pull the sucker and have someone look at it, its down time and $$. I am thinking of just getting another short block elsewhere, and dumping this piece of junk on their lot. It’s a real rat F situation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Man, the more and more I hear about them, the less I like. I'm glad I found this place before I ordered from them, now I'm going with Keith Craft!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation, have you attempted to offer them a mutual 3rd party inspection, at your cost, in order to diagnose the issues? At this point they don't believe your inspection and you don't believe theirs so a seperate party might be the best solution.

Keep in mind your buyers protection is typically time limited so I would contact Discover sooner than later if I were you.

Josh,

Search and you'll find issues with KC as well.

Every mail order engine builder has had issues, have it done locally, by a researched reputable machinist and you'll get get the results you want.

$.02

Brian

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eagle- I took your advice. I called CHP and they offered to have me drive my engine to them so they could prove that leak down was under 10%. I rented a truck and headed down there (with my mechanic and his leak down tester). Well, the first two cylinders showed 7% and 11% on the CHP tester, but absent was the sound of air whooshing past the cylinder walls, and up the valve cover port. Upon inspecting their leak down tool (a moroso piece that has atleast 5 years of hard use behind it), I found the regulator that allows you to zero the gauged was cracked and caulked/glued down in a set position. Also the gauge that shows what pressure your testing at was broken (no face, dial hand, or movement whatsoever). Additionally the leak down gauge with no air in the system (completely unplugged) rested at 70psi, not exactly calibrated I guess. Even more distressing was the fact that I could stop all air leaking out of the output tube (the part that threads into the spark plug hole) with my finger, indicating that we were dealing with some 10psi of pressure rather than 30, 80, or 100psi. WOW.

So the next step was to use the new guage that my mechanic brought, which not only showed some high % leaking at just 30 psi, but we could hear that whooshing air past the rings and out the oil port out of the top of the head. We all stuck our fingers in it and noted that air leak.

After all this drama, CHP’s testing equipment and my engine both proven faulty, they chose to ‘shuck and jive’ once again… “how do we know you didn’t do your break in with synthetic oil?” I stated I didn’t, and it was on to the next responsibility dodge. Unfortunately, no manager or owner was there for me and I was told they would call me back…I just called them and they are still in a meeting (going on 5 hours of waiting now).

So now, as it sits, I am out $2400 for my block, a bunch more to my mechanics, and $70 in truck rental/gas fees, just to hear excuses, and to prove to CHP that their leak down gauge is faulty. I wonder what this says about their other euipt.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm amazed that a shop that supposedly builds the caliber of engines they advertise would use a piece of equipment so obviously out of alignment/accuracy.

I always, have and always will, advise that someone use a trusted machinist, instead of a mass order builder, to do the build on the engine.

Sorry you had to be the one to get bit in the a** ...

It takes a lot of nerve to obviously be wrong and still not stand behind your product.

Hopefully when someone arrives that can make a decision it'll be for the best. Regardless, I'd prefer a refund over a 'fix.'

Brian

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is all sorted out now,
i went there with a camera running and would not shut it off, untill they clearly explain why they would not rebuild it, how it was my fault, or decide to fux it. After talking in circles they first decided to fix it and charge me 75$, i pressed what this 75 was for and how it was my responsibility,.. and eventually they rebuilt it for free-
today it works great- but in the future, DSS has my business-

·
Registered
551 Posts
Man I am glad they finally fix their mistake. It is a shame you had to go throught so much bull $h'it . If you had lived out of state ,I would bet big $$$ you would have no luck with repairs. I was looking throught the fourm at experiences with different builders. I am going to by a 331 in the next month or so. I was considering CHP but I think I'm going to go with DSS or Bennett my frist considerations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts