Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know whcih belt i need to run, or even what length to bypass the smog pump?? I also have march underdrive pullies if that matters.. thanks!!
Jared

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
There is a diagram floating around on how to route a short belt to bypass the smog pump. If you do a search, you should be able to find it.

Basically if you start at the alternator, you go under the tensioner, over the A/C, down to the PS, then to the WP where you go over the top, around the left side, then down to the crank on the right side, around and back up to the alternator.

As far as getting the right length, an easy way to check it is to use string. Route the string like the belt, and tighten it until where you want the the tensioner to be. Then get that size (or as close as you can get) and the next size larger and the next size smaller.

Trial fit, and find the one that works best.

In my case, the best I could get was an 83.5" long Goodyear belt. The next smallest size was 81.7" and was too short. An 82.5 belt would likely be "perfect" but I am still in the acceptable range on the tensioner.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wen to napa today.. and found a 84 1/8" belt that fits perfect! thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts