Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace mine and I am wondering what to go with. I am just looking for GOOD stock replacement pieces. Anyone have any experience with KYB or gabriel?

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
You said "GOOD", so Gabriel is out, so is Monroe, and you can do better than KYB, but they're OK. I'd say get a set of Tokico "Blues", they're just about direct factory replacement to direct factory specs. The only exception is the quad shocks. For those, you want Gabriel #14039 and you can actually get them from Amazon if your local parts house doesn't stock them. Don't listen to any under-informed yayhoo who tells you the quads are worthless or you can toss them when you put better control arms in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
thanks for posting this, I am looking for the same thing so I jotted down the part numbers. You mentioned the rear, the previous owner put those control arms on, I just replaced the rear shocks didn't touch the other ones(I was told almost the same thing, they rarely go bad) and my car feels like you are driving on a cobble stone street when you go over something as little as a small bump or uneven road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you can still get oem quads from Ford. part # F8ZZ*4A263*AA. they are listed now for years '94-2004 but they are the same exact quad as the early ones. ford just phased out the older part #.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I apparently am an under-informed yahoo. On my '88 Fox GT hatch (naturally aspirated 347 with GT-40 top end, 5-speed): 1. I removed my quad shocks 2. I installed FRPP lower control arms equipped with spherical bearings. 3. I installed Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks. 4. I installed FRPP lowering springs. As expected, the car rides, handles and drives better than stock and launches straight. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Removing quad shocks DOES NOT work for everyone. Didn't work for me, even after upper and lower control arms. Put in poly bushings in the rear end housing, big mistake, took the quads out, still a little wheel hop. Couldn't feel it but the tire marks told other wise.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked on amazon for the quads and it comes up as a steering damper. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay that is how they come up on autozone.com, and they are twice as much. How come?

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Yes, "steering damper" is actually the correct item, #14039, it's been mis-labeled for years in the parts systems. Theyr'e twice as much at Vatozone because...Amazon is actually cheaper. They're the exact same unit, and the correct one for the job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i'll have a set of strange adj. shocks and struts for sale soon, with super low mi. like 2k mi. they will certainly be better than what you had but, buy correct stuff for what you want to do with the car. Otherwise you'll be changin parts and wasting money like me.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I apparently am an under-informed yahoo. On my '88 Fox GT hatch (naturally aspirated 347 with GT-40 top end, 5-speed): 1. I removed my quad shocks 2. I installed FRPP lower control arms equipped with spherical bearings. 3. I installed Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks. 4. I installed FRPP lowering springs. As expected, the car rides, handles and drives better than stock and launches straight. Works for me.

Doesn't work for everyone.

Leaving the quads on hurts nothing. But taking them off sometimes does cause wheel hope even with good control arms.

Personally, unless you have tire clearance issues, you should keep them on...even if you don't wheelhop without them. I have MM control arms out back, and i went out and bought new quads.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Go with Tokico Blues. You can find them around $260 for all four. Slightly "better" than stock. I run stock springs, Tokico Blues, MM LCA's, Cobra UCA's and it is a nice street combo.

Though if I could do it over I would have just gone straight to Bilstein. But that has a cost in the ole pocket book.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate the advice, I am thinking of going with KBY GR2's. Cost is a factor. I can get a set of shocks and struts for 135 shipped off of ebay.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You will probably be OK with the KYBs if you aren't running lowering springs. The KYBs are really stiff on a lowered car. I really don't want to say how I know this. :(

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
+1 on leaving the quad shocks. i removed mine and my old control arm bushings went to crap in a hurry. the car would rock back and forth from shifting, stopping and expecially launching. so bad, it made me nauseius (sp?) :barf: i bought new ones and put them back, i installed tubular uppers w/ poly bushings, and poly bushings to the lowers. my plan is to box in the lowers this winter.

over all i run sportlines,quads, and tokico blues, and it has a great feel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go for Bilsteins. May be more expensive but there you'll have a set for the rest of your Mustangs lifetime. They are the BEST replacements you can have!!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bilsteins,Bilsteins,Bilsteins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts