Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a PM from SD today and he told me to check the lash under each cam lobe so I sent him back what I got. He told me that sometimes they set up fine on the bench and then need some more shimming once they're in the car.

So does anyone have pics they could post that show what the lash adjuster and shims look like ? Sounds like I'll have to pull some of them and add another shim but I have no idea what the shims or the rest of the lash adjuster looks like. Just wondering how hard it's gonna be to get the right shims ?

If you can help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon P.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier today.

If a .005 and a .010 shim can be made from stainless, which from what I can tell is a washer shape (not certain of the inside diameter), I'm thinking that might be enough. We can find a machine shop to make them........and buy a bunch.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I found round precision shim stock in the McMaster book.

I'm going to pull a follower out of my old head and measure the inside diameter of the lifter/lash adjuster socket. I'll nail this down before the end of the week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Troy,

Keep me posted as to what you find and if possible, get some pics of those lash adjusters for us ! I've been wondering what the lower half of those things look like.

I've been trying to find a local auto parts store that does a tool loan program and has the correct valve spring compressor for OHV cars. So far I haven't found one that rents or even sells them ! Wish me luck in my search......I hope I don't end up having to order one off the net and then have to wait for it to be shipped.

Well, talk to ya later,

Jon P.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got my .012" shims from McMaster Carr. It was like $5 for a package of 25. I believe they were .5" diameter and something like .375" inside diameter

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought my valve spring compressor a PepBoys localy. It was under $20. I used it to remove the stock valve springs from my spare head. Pain in the arse to use but it worked.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I pulled an adjuster out of its pocket off of an old head last night. The pocket is really deep, but the oil feed hole positioned in the upper center of the body. I measured the pocket and agree with blacktbird. A shim measuring .5" O.D. will fit. I am going to order some and get them in there asap.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That is correct. It is on the side of the lifter body. The good part is that the oil feed groove/recess can allow for quite a bit of shimming before it will not pump up.

A shim that will work is McMaster-Carr part number 99040A600 and you must specify thickness aside from that part number. It comes in .001 .002 .003 .004 .005 .006 .008 .010 .012 .014 & .016 thicknesses. They cost 8.40 for a bag of 25.

I would suggest you get a few bags of varying thincknesses. I'm going for .005 and .010.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I going to bust out of work early to do this. I found a generic OHC spring compressor. I'm going to do this and try to take some pics that you will find useful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok i got to say something. I believe the Ford compressor is the only one that will work. It goes under the cam then you use a rachet to push down. A generic compressor you have to be directly on top of the spring but how can you do that with the cam there? If the cam is out then one of those compressors will work fine. Ever take a valve cover off with the engine in the car? Not much room to get anything in there. Cornwell sells the correct compressor for like $105 i believe.

Get the right tools before doing it. Using the wrong tool just takes more time and never works to well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It is a MAC tools compressor. It is modeled after the Ford compressor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, over the weekend I checked out and called just about every auto parts store, tool supply place, and even a couple industrial tool companies and didn't have much luck finding the spring compressor that we need. I was able to find a supplier that's about an hour away from my house and they told me they will sell to the public, but it would be a full retail price which was 114.99 !!!

Needless to say I'm not spenfing that much so that I can pick it up and have it Monday(tomorrow). I found a company online that sells the compressor for $66.11 and I can get it shipped 2nd day air UPS and the price will still only be around $80 and I'll have it wednesday. Here's the URL to their site:
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-7928.html
I'll be ordering mine first thing in the morning !

So have any of you guys heard from SD ?? I've left a voice mail message, a few e-mails, and a bunch of PM's telling him to call me and I haven't heard anything from him. Actually, come to think of it, there has only been 1 time where he's returned a call to me and guess what that was for ?? It was to get my credit card number so that he could charge me the remaining balance I owed before my heads shipped......and then my heads still didn't ship for 3 weeks after that....go figure huh !!!

Well, it's late and I'm exhausted.
Talk to ya later,
Jon P.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The tool looks good.

Disregard my earlier statements about running the car. Get the shimming done first. If you have not already done so, go and check out Juiced46's thread about the busted spring. His valve train sounded like ours......though He managed to get 7k miles out of it before it busted.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The tool I had a line on fell through. I just ordered the same one you did. If I get get a hold of one sooner I will....and still get the new one just to have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Troy,

Don't worry, I never did put the cam cover back on my car so that I could drive it. I just left it apart and up on jack stands till I get the valve spring tool. I ordered mine thismorning and had it shipped 2nd dau UPS and it came to $88.01 and I should get it Wednesday. I also had my dad make up a couple .006 and .003 shims for me while he was at work on Saturday.....hopefully they'll work and I won't have to order them online and wait for them to be shipped.

Yeah, I've been reading and watching the threads by Juiced4.6 and the more I think about it, the more worried I get because I have regrinds and the modmax springs in my heads too.

Once i get my car together I might let it run for an hour or so and drive it a few miles then pull both cam covers and see if any other followers are loose on either side.

Well, talk to ya later,
Jon P.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I am about 60% sure that the shimming will solve the problem.

Look at my latest posts on those threads and you will see some of the math that I've done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts