Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a tachometer with a shift light for just daily driving? I wanna buy an autometer tach with a shift light but my car is just a 89 lx 5.0 daily driver.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I put an ultra bright single LED in my pillar that points at my face and use an MSD RPM trigger box for it. Complete stealth/clean install and adjustable. I love it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Raptor shift light on the steering column.
I just listed one of those in the classifieds last night. The Raptor is great for steath installs. I ran it in the heater duct but it was set high enough I rarely saw it during daily driving. I would quickly tire of an LED strobe in my face every shift on a DD.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I have a complete spare HID assembly out of my old BMW. Mount that sucker on your steering column. You'll get blinded, prob. go off the road and crash, but you'll never not know when to shift again.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
its a tuff dilemma because stock tach is inaccurate but big aftermarket tachs look stupid in otherwise clean street cars.

I wish there was a nice tach w shift light that could go in stock spot and look close to factory.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
its a tuff dilemma because stock tach is inaccurate but big aftermarket tachs look stupid in otherwise clean street cars.

I wish there was a nice tach w shift light that could go in stock spot and look close to factory.
I agree......

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

X3, I held off as long as possible before I bought the "Big Mondo" tach. The stealth shift lights are perfect for a street car.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I just listed one of those in the classifieds last night. The Raptor is great for steath installs. I ran it in the heater duct but it was set high enough I rarely saw it during daily driving. I would quickly tire of an LED strobe in my face every shift on a DD.
Since I rarely take my car to its shift point on the street, its not an issue.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Since I rarely take my car to its shift point on the street, its not an issue.
Same here. I'm not sure what the OP has in mind as far as RPMs on the street. It would take me about 10 minutes to get arrested around here if I see my shift flash.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Cool thing I saw was a shift light hidden in the heater vents. You could just shut the vent then when you didn't want to see it. I myself would like to get a tach and put it in the factory position, but not too many good looking options..

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Cool thing I saw was a shift light hidden in the heater vents. You could just shut the vent then when you didn't want to see it. I myself would like to get a tach and put it in the factory position, but not too many good looking options..
That would suck in the summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts