Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped in a set of silver face gauges and everything is about right but I've always had issues with the water temp gauge needle.

I've installed a AM Elec Water Temp gauge and the car maintains @ 180* on the gauge. The temp probe is located where the OEM sender was on the intake and the OEM sender was relocated to the T-Stat

So, if my AM gauge is reading 180*, where should I put the needle on the factory gauge? N? O? R? M?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When my engine is 180*-185* the needle sits between the "N" and "O". To my knowledge, my needles have never been removed.

If you want to be conservative and make 180* the new "Normal" temp, you could install the needle straight up after the car is at operating temp. That way you will notice quicker if the car does gets warmer. Either way, it depends on where you want the needle to sit during normal operation. As you already know, the stock gauge is garbage for actually indicating what the temp is in degrees, so you really just want it there as a 'red flag' so-to-speak.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I swapped in a set of silver face gauges and everything is about right but I've always had issues with the water temp gauge needle.

I've installed a AM Elec Water Temp gauge and the car maintains @ 180* on the gauge. The temp probe is located where the OEM sender was on the intake and the OEM sender was relocated to the T-Stat

So, if my AM gauge is reading 180*, where should I put the needle on the factory gauge? N? O? R? M?

Thanks!
The low side of the N would be about right if it's the same as mine.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When mine is at 180* its not even close to the N which always threw me off. Gonna adjust it now.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All is better now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The low side of the N would be about right if it's the same as mine.

That is where mine sits too.
The stock gauge is kinda useless as far as a temperature indicator .... except for that time it was pegged all the way to the right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts