Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I put the sending unit for the autolite temp guage on a 96 cobra. There seems to be two sending units on the crossover pipe and I think that I remember someone saying that if the stock sending unit is unplugged that it will cause a check engine light.

Anyone?

·
Registered
143 Posts
One controls the gauge and the other controls the computer. I don't think you'll turn on the check engine light if you just unhook the sender to the gauge. Thats what I've heard anyways...

-Clinton

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which side goes to the guage? I guess I could just unhook it and see. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not for certain on this, so don't get upset if I'm wrong. But I do believe that the one that controls the gauge is on the right. PM me if this is correct, 'cus I have a temp gauge that is already run to the engine compartment and I don't know where to put it. If this is correct, I'd really like to know. I've just been way too busy lately to tinker with my car. I haven't cleaned my K&N in like 25,000 miles. I need some time to clean up my car!!! Let me know, 'cus I might just stick it in there if that does do the trick. Thanks

-Clinton

·
Registered
73 Posts
The sender that runs the gauge is on the drivers side of the car. I do not think unpluging it will give you a check engine light. I have a temp gauge on order and I hope that I can put a tee so the stock gauge still works. I am not sure if I will have room - it is kind of tight in that area. I would love to know if anyone has done it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I finished it up yesterday. It is the one on the drivers side. It looks identical to the one on the windsor motors. My guage works fine. I am not sure about the check engine light b/c mine came on a few days earlier and I haven't found the cause yet. I think that it is my mil eliminators.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just eliminated the factory guage. I don't think that you would have enough room for a tee unless you pulled out the crossover tube, installed the tee, then put it back. I just replaced the stock sending unit with the autometer one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts