Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to bring this to the attention of Massachusetts residents as there is another real threat to our hobby on the line... This particular bill was defeated in 2002, has resurfaced, and needs to be defeated once again in 2003. If not defeated, it could mean the beginning to the end of our freedom to tinker with our cars! Don't let this thing pass!

The easiest way to send a letter to your MA legislators is to copy and paste the attached URL below into your browers and take 10 minutes to submit a brief letter through the SEMA website. Please everyone, don't sit idle on this as it is real and can and will affect MA residents and potentially serve as an example for other states, if this bill finally passes in 2003.

The following is from SEMA's SAN Network, which I am on the mailing list for...

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Resurfaces in 2003

A bill (H.D. 1882) to prohibit the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" has been reintroduced for consideration in the 2003 legislative session by Massachusetts State Representative Liz Malia. It has not been revised from last year's version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation.

We Urge You to Call, Fax or E-Mail Your Own State Legislators Immediately to Oppose This Bill

* H.D. 1882 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

* H.D. 1882 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

* H.D. 1882 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

* H.D. 1882 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call, fax or e-mail your own state legislators immediately to oppose this legislation. This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts. If you need assistance in determining who your own legislators are, please contact the Massachusetts General Court at 617/722-1276. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 or via the Internet at

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp.

For our records, please fax a copy of your letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20004

Attention: Steve McDonald/Brian Caudill

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just curious... How many MA residents have sent a letter to their MA legislators regarding this bill?

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use this link http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisl...legislator.asp.
and the SEMA website will allow you to send a single letter, that you draft, to your/our local and state legislators unrging them to oppose this bill. I don't think writing to Liz Malia would do any good as she has resurected this bill and obviously wants to remove the freedom to modify our cars. Send the link to others and pass the word on as we need all the help that we can get to defeate this bill!

To be honest, I really feel that the ricer group has caused the "modified exhaust" issue to become a problem due to the fact that a 110-hp Honda Civic with a loud as hell, bumble bee sounding exhaust is quite annoying in the hands of 18 year olds wanting to show off. We went through the 60's, 70's, 80s, and a good portion of the 90's without dealing with this sort of an issue with V8 muscle cars. To use this as an example, my father always loves to hear a healthy V8 rumble by, but can't stand the noise of an import. The imports piss off the older generation, they vote against vehicle modification in general and we all lose the right and privilege to modify our cars. Hopefully, this isn't the beginning to the end. Hopefully nobody will be offened by my observation...

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! I wouldn't doubt it!

Anyway, don't foget to pass this info along and encourage anyone that is will to take some time to write their legislators to oppose this crap!

Take care.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quik5oh said:
To be honest, I really feel that the ricer group has caused the "modified exhaust" issue to become a problem due to the fact that a 110-hp Honda Civic with a loud as hell, bumble bee sounding exhaust is quite annoying in the hands of 18 year olds wanting to show off.

The same can be said for those who are running Flows with no cats........;)

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my defense, I drive my car 10 times per year and I can barely hear my car running when next to a ricer with a serious exhaust... But yes, the same can be said for those with flows and no cats.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Actually, that wasn't even directed at you....or anyone in particular. Just an observation. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I know... LOL!

- Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts