Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to inform anyone selling a vehicle in Florida or Georgia that there is a guy who is buying vehicles with forged casher's checks from Wachovia Bank. He is an African-American who is very nice and well-spoken and is known to drive a Chevy Dually. He asks few questions about the car the shows up to look at it and comes back with a printed casher's check. Apparently he stole the blank casher's checks then prints out the amount and who it is "payable" to then splits with your ride. He has "purchased" an 88 GT with heads and intake and lots of other mods for $6,200 and also a newer Expedition for $23,000. There are probably more. Florida police are looking for him and god help him if the owners of those vehicles find him before the police do. I talked with the owner of the 88 GT earlier tonight. I called to see if it was still for sale and he told me his story. He was very upset and could not believe what had happened to him. PLEASE be careful if you are selling! Cash ANY check before releasing custody of anything!I hope this helps somebody.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got an email, from a guy named mark james, he told me he worked for a company that sold cars to oversea's customers.

He told me, he would send a cashiers check to my house and he would have someone pick up the car, but soon as I questioned him, his company, drilled him with questions; i never heard from him again.

Maybe same guy, I have no clue

I hope they catch the bastard

By the way, I am NC

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently received an email from a person that said they were from Nigeria and had clients that wanted to buy cars from America. What they do is say they will buy the car and they will send you a cashiers check for an overpayment of the car and you send them back cash. The check is counterfit, and once you send them the over payment you are out the cash. This is called Nigerian Scam letters. I work for a Large Financial Institution and one of our members had her car on Ebay and they got her, she brought in the check and everything, but luckily we didnt cash it.
So becareful out there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have someone that smells kinda fishy but not sure if his story may be true yet. Do any of you guys have more email addresses of this guy?

·
Registered
424 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blown 895.0 whats your story? I have had a guy email me from a branch of the military about my car, but he also sent the same email to about 20 other people and he also wanted the vin number, so I am not for sure if he is a scammer yet? Did this happen to anyone?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well mine started off asking "do you take cashiers check?" And told him I'd rather have the cash, if you got the cashiers check you should have cash. He sent me about one or two other emails sayin he was running a capitol project in the african region and could arrange someone to pick it up. His emails just stopped after I told cash, insted of the cashiers check. I'm not about to get scammed when something sounds thats suspicious, but he may be telling the truth, but you better believe I will only be taking cash after hearing about all this. Scott...

·
Registered
164 Posts
man I always thought cashiers checks were a bullet proof way of getting my money. I will be very hesitant from now own, when selling a car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The hard thing is that anyone that has any kind of access to a check from a bank can scan a $1.00 certified check and change what info they want. With a correct routing number and address your bank will not know for several weeks that it is no good. On another note, someone can also stop a personal check AFTER you have deposited it and show the funds in your account. Their bank will stop payment up to 7 days(?) after and YOUR bank will pull the funds back out of your account. This happened to a personal friend that had sold his truck AS IS and the bank still did it after the engine seized up 2 days later. He was able to get the money from the guy but not before he had $5k of returned checks. Not sure what else to say but maybe get people's license numbers, and any other info you can before they leave with your car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts