Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is to that point that its rebuild time. I've got the money to rebuild my motor and get some goodies, but I've been wondering if I would be better served to buy say a 94-95 gt or one of the 4.6L gts. I'll admit it I’m a cheap ass and frankly I don't want to spend the money to make one the 4.6s fast. I'm in college and I'm just not sure that it is wise for me to spend the money to rebuild my car and make it faster or just move up to something newer, possibly more reliable. As my car sits, it’s going to need some work: engine, paint, etc. hell it doesn't even have a radio thanks to the little bastards that stole it. I guess I’m just looking at options and wondering what you guy would do. I know you're all about going fast and hell so am I, but I also know the most of you are realistic and down to earth, so any help would be appreciated. I was also wondering what the modular mustangs are like, as far as their equipment from the factory, rear end ratios, posi, etc.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
screw it...buy a blower and run that thing till the head gaskets explode

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
If you can afford it, get a new GT. Think about 6 CD in the dash, working air conditioning, nice clearcoated paint, bullit wheels, fresh suspension, nice interior, girls like it... yada yada yada. I think you'll make the right decision...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
While all of those things Coupster said were nice, the same can be said of any fox, if you perform the right modifications.

The foxes have their strengths and weaknesses just as the modulars do.

Comparing our 88 to our 99 (which might not be a fair comparison)

88 - more creaks, less refined, louder inside but better road feel, faster, stronger, more of a musclecar

99 - smoother, quieter inside, better ride, pretty quick for a stocker

Keep in mind the 88 has over 420rw (AOD) Bullitt suspension, cobra brakes.. so its not exactly a stock vs stock comparison.

stock vs stock Id rather have a 99 up 2V car, they are just as quick if not quicker than a stock 5.0 car..

but I like each one for one it has and what it lacks..

all personal preference... I wouldnt want to choose

·
Registered
336 Posts
In college... buy the newer GT. You'll enjoy it much more. I love the Fox bodies, don't get me wrong.

1. But in your situation, I would find a nice SN95.
2. Graduate college.
3. Get a decent job making some bucks.
4. Save up and buy another car.
5. Throw extra money at the Mustang and keep it as a toy.

You could skip step 4. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I 'am with Tiresmoke-HAA! Funny

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
depends what kind of guy you are.

do you shop at abercrombie alot and think of yourself as a preppy. you know you only wear abercrombie and would never wear something from structure or kmart for that matter. if so buy the newer car. or do you wear jeans and a white t sometimes just to lounge out. you don't look at what jeans you put on just so they fit ok and not too ragged looking. if so keep the one you have and put some work into it. i had a choice and bought the last year of the fox body. i could have had a bullit. but oh well. i wanted a black 93gt hatch. and that is what i got. i get teary eyed thinking about it because i miss driving it so much. (been away from it for about a year now due to deployment) i am a big fan of the 94 95 years since they still have the 5.0 in them. but the mods are more expensive and i like the fox body look a little better. that is just my thoughts friend. and i am not categorizing you i was just bored and wanted to have a little bit of fun so i hope no one takes offense and if you (anyone reading this post) do well too bad. i was only kidding. sheesh lol.
-troy

·
Registered
686 Posts
You could put another 15 grand into your '87, instead of buying a brand new GT for over 20 grand.
I would actually like to have a 4.6 car myself, but I really like a my good 'ole 5.0.

It is your decision, choose wisely.

C. Focker

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cool Focker said:
You could put another 15 grand into your '87, instead of buying a brand new GT for over 20 grand.
I would actually like to have a 4.6 car myself, but I really like a my good 'ole 5.0.

It is your decision, choose wisely.

C. Focker
I doubt coming up with 15 grand in cash is an option for a college student. I'm pretty sure he's talking about financing a car.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sort of depends on your situation. If you are in college chances are you don't really have a lot of time or a place to work on it regularly. If that is the case and you will have to pay someone else to do the work it makes the newer car look a whole lot better. I'm 34 now and just getting back into doing some serious work on vehicles. I've been working on my career for about the last 15 years and now I've got extra vehicles, the house with a garage, all that stuff so I'm doing it again. You've got plenty of time. I'd probably go with the newer car in your situation.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
In college and considering upgrading a car?? Hmmm, I guess I was deprived....but then again, I paid my own way.

My 2 cents....keep the car as is. Graduate and get a job. Getting a job ain't guaranteed these days with the "wonderful" economy. At that point, a great alternative is to replace the engine with one out of a V8 explorer/mountaineer. Use your Mustang's intake complete, distributor, everything from the timing chain cover forward, cam, harmonic balancer, oil pressure sensor, pilot bearing etc. Early 96 and older, you get GT-40 heads. Later 96 and up you get GT-40P heads (need new headers with these). If you want to drill and tap for one sensor, use the explorer intake.....it flows like a 93 Cobra. Used explorer V8's tend to have less than 10k miles and go for about $1k. They also tend not to be beat, like a Mustang 5.0 might be. A good % of guys with Cobra kit cars go this route....I did. 96 w/GT40, dropped in an E cam, 5k miles on the engine when bought for $1k. If you decided to just use your Mustang intake and leave the explorer cam in, it's a weekend day to do the swap.

jack

·
Registered
686 Posts
cmclean said:
I doubt coming up with 15 grand in cash is an option for a college student. I'm pretty sure he's talking about financing a car.
Let me rephrase what I mean. Instead of making a monthly payment of $300-$500..or more, save that money every month and put it toward mods on your existing 5.0. Not to mention you'll save money in taxes, and insurance over owning a new Mustang. I like the new 4.6s, but as a college student myself, I'd rather keep what I've got and modify it a little bit at a time. Some people don't like the idea of owning an 'old' car from the '80s and early '90s, but me and some others on the other hand love the good 'ole Fox body Mustangs. Do what you feel, and don't look back on it.

C. Focker

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Payments in college are dumb. You'll regret buying a new car later when you are sitting around working at taco bell cause your friggin payment accounts for 90% of your income. Working in college isn't fun! Its a lot easier to have no payments, sit around in the dorms and get hammered off all your summer time saved cash! Go 30 pack!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't talking about buying a brand new car, as that would be stupid at this point in my life. Plus I just don't have that kind of money. And for the record I wear whatever is comfortable lol. I just want my creature comforts back and don't really have much time to mess with it. I don't want one of the 4.6 cars now that I've looked into them, they seem like one big expensive pain in the ass. But the reliability of a newer car is quite appealing as well as. I love my fox body but I feel that it is going to take too much money to fix up. I would love nothing more than to get a hold of a 94-95 just because of the 5.0. Hell if I could just find a fox body with low miles I would be happy. Thanks for the input though guys.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts