Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I really want to know how much pulley clearance there is with aftermarket radiators, and if I can get by with using the stock fan. I'm itching to GO FASTER, but I may be too lazy to do it.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Very little, but you can squeeze it in there by removing the dome cover from the fan motor. That gives you like a quarter inch.

The best advice I can give you is to just use an OEM replacement radiator.
The “thicker radiator” is just a marketing ploy, it won’t cool any better. You need more airflow, faster coolant speed, and lower fan set points in the tune.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very little, but you can squeeze it in there by removing the dome cover from the fan motor. That gives you like a quarter inch.

The best advice I can give you is to just use an OEM replacement radiator.
The “thicker radiator” is just a marketing ploy, it won’t cool any better. You need more airflow, faster coolant speed, and lower fan set points in the tune.
Well I can attest that a thicker radiator does cool better. I recently replaced my perfectly good fairly new stock replacement radiator with a large Be Cool radiator and behold... I thought the car would never reach 180 degrees. I was getting worried it would not warm up all the way, but finally it did in fact warm up to 180 after 45 minutes of driving in 70 ish degree weather. With the stock radiator the temps would stay in the 210+ range all the time, and then when you put the A/C on it would try to overheat every single time and still does. My A/C condenser is probably in need of replacement. I know my stock fan is working on both high and low. I have two stock fans, both work.

My car only overheats when I turn the A/C on. No one on planet earth has been able to solve this issue unfortunately. I will be changing the condenser soon. I also noticed that my father had the same problem with his 1971 Tornio with a 351 Cleveland, which would overheat if the A/C was turned on so he placed an electric fan in front of the A/C condenser which eliminated the overheating problem.

There should be zero reason to use a fan in front of the A/C condenser in my opinion on an SN95 so hopefully it is just the condenser or as you stated the time in which the fan is tuned to come on when the A/C is applied. So maybe I can switch back to a stock replacement if I can fix the fan issue.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
210° is the normal operating range.
The high speed fan doesn’t come on until 226°.

The minimum temperature is controlled by the thermostat, 195°
Any lower than that, and the thermostat closes.

The low speed fan shuts off at 204°...

I have used thicker radiators, and it made ZERO difference.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
If your car could not heat up past 180°, then you either have no thermostat or it’s stuck open.

also, the fan is disabled at any speed over 60mph, because the airflow over the core from that speed is more than what the fan can generate. Sustained highway speed should be the only time your thermostat closes after warm up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
There’s not much room to work with and none at all really with the stock overflow bottle.
If you’re itching to go faster a new radiator is probably not where to look.
Back when I first got my kit on I it would run hit with the a/c on. I had the slightest of leak at the t-stat housing because it wasn’t lined up all the way because the relocated alternator was interfering. I was running a 180* t-stat at this time. Eventually I ground some material off of the housing so it would clear the alt and seat properly. Once the leak was fixed it was running too cold with the 180* t-stat so I went back to the stock 195* and all is well.
Summit brand overflow photoed as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
FYI- I was able to get the stock overflow to fit by relocating the CCRM and some minor fab work for the upper mounting bracket.

this is only an issue with thicker radiators.

Reactions: sn95gts331
1 - 8 of 8 Posts