Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done their open track sessions on the Lime Rock course? http://www.scda.org

Apparently, there will be an event on March 22nd for $225 I believe. You have an instructor in your passenger seat and you get to lap around on Lime Rock Course.

I have no experience track racing and the only thing I've done thus far is the Mazda Rev It Up Challenge in MA, which was a timetrial based event in a tight coned course.

I loved the Mazda Event and fared quite well against the competition using the Mazda 6S.

I've always wanted to try my new Mustang on a track, but have shyed away from it for some time now even though I've added just about everything Steeda has to offer for my '01 (G-Trac Levels 1 -3 and some other miscellaneous Steeda suspension ) parts.

I've also upgraded my braking system to the Cobra front and rears for better braking power. The engine is still stock, other than the full Magnaflow exchaust system (catted x-pipe and cat-back system).

I've got a bunch of guys here at work with some fancy machinery that are coaxing me into taking my car... we're talking primarily German engineering and a few Japanese makes:

Porshe Boxster
Porsche 911
Ferrari F355
Mitsubishi Evo
Subaru WRX
Bmw 330Ci
Bmw M5
Audi S4

With my limited track experience and Suspension setup, should I even bother making an attempt on this track? I normally wouldn't mind taking on such a challenge, but this track seems very unforgiving to anyone who makes a mistake - barriers as opposed to grass.

Am I outclassed here, folks? I've dragged my car, but this is totally different here... I could use some feedback from those that have been on this course and have some knowledge of Steeda suspension components - didn't like the Roush and Saleen setups after driving them, found Griggs too extreme and expensive, Steeda has best packages/sets and provided discounts.

I love taking turns, negotiating chicanes, trailbraking, rev-matching, heel and toe (practicing this lost art), etc... I'm a Mustang guy, with a yearning for handling, but I've never done it at this scale...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'm just worried about trashing my car... the new suspension grips like a mofo... stock goodyears suddenly feel more competent with this new setup...

Just looking for re-assurance, and feedback on Steeda Suspension + Lime Rock's course.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dave,

Just my $.02. I think the instruction would be the important thing.
You are the same boat I am in (novice). For the first dozen of times I wouldn't worry about trying to beat anyone, especially with the pedigrees of the other cars. I would deliberately cut it down a notch to get my feet wet and get meaningful experience.

It might be cheaper and safer that way.

Doug

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking I should just attend the event on a day other than the day they go... I still want the instructor led traning though, that's why I think I'm going to sign up when the time comes... but without these folks around, I think I will be more at ease and not as edgy to beat anyone... I may consciously state that I'm not there to compete, but male egos can sometimes creep up on even the best of us and make us do stupid things on a track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts