Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just looking to get started in SCCA autocross. I have read over the rules but I have a few questions and hope that you guys can give me some guidance...

86 Hatch 5.0 - Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, E7 heads, does have a cam 😬 but it’s pretty mild? Can i get away with that?, TKO 3550, centerforce clutch, no AC, no power steering, BBK Headers, and aftermarket exhaust...

Obviously I’d prefer to start in street category but after reviewing the rules, i’ve already incidentally surpassed.. Mainly due to a few engine bolt-ons but the main kicker is I don’t have the factory front seats... so I was looking at street touring which I hope I haven’t surpassed, will list car with main mods at the end of post...

So my plan was to IRS Swap my car because this won’t be an autoX only car and why dump money into rear when I plan to IRS swap but looking for the rules to see if that wasn’t allowed:

“Solid axle rear wheel drive (RWD) suspension allowances:
1. Addition or replacement of suspension stabilizers (linkage connect- ing the axle housing or DeDion to the chassis, which controls lateral suspension location) is permitted.
2. Traction bars or torque arms may be added or replaced.
3. A Panhard rod may be added or replaced.
4. The upper arm(s) may be removed, replaced, or modified and the
upper pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.
5. The lower arms may be replaced or modified and the lower pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.
6. Differential covers and attaching hardware may be replaced.
7. Methods of attachment and attachment points are unrestricted but may serve no other purpose (e.g., chassis stiffening). This does not authorize removal of a welded on part of a subframe to accommodate the installation”

It doesn’t really say whether or not that is allowed. Seems like I could maybe swing with that on a technicality?? Am I wrong?

Also have tubular K member and other stuff ready to go into the car... Is tubular supsension allowed in street touring?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anything?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the SCCA rules don't mention something is legal, it is usually illegal. Do you have weld-in subframe connectors on the car? Street Touring only allows for bolt-in subframe connectors. That's the main reason why 79-04 Mustangs usually end up in CAM.

You won't be legal to run in Street Class with those mods. I would suggest running in Novice CAM-T. That will get you the most competition (and instruction) and it will keep you from having to go up against experienced drivers in CAM-T. And, as you add power and suspension mods, you will want to add weld-in chassis bracing, so you'll be able to get a feel for the class to see what mods you need and don't need to be competitive in CAM-T.

I'm a Novice Instructor for 2 clubs, and I started my Warhorse Racing YouTube channel to help people just like you who are looking to get into autocross. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask here or on the channel. Here's a link...

Warhorse Racing

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Like Warhorse said your going to want to run CAM-T its basically a wide open class and if you are just starting out I would recommend his videos. When I started back in the 90's it would have been nice to have access to the information he has in his videos. The other thing you might look into some regions have a open class or a just for time class. My local region has a class called X and its a just run for time. I find it to be nice for novices since they don't focus on competing and just focus on there driving. The key is just go out run and have some fun focus on your driving. If you can find someone that drives a similar car to give you instruction and ask questions. The final thing is seat time get as much of it as you can.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply’s guys....
But is an IRS swap acceptable, and tubular K member acceptable in Cam-T or Cam-novice then? It’s not that I feel I need it or could truly reap the benefits of it with my current skill set. It’s just a matter of not wanting to dump the money into my current junk 😊 lol

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply’s guys....
But is an IRS swap acceptable, and tubular K member acceptable in Cam-T or Cam-novice then? It’s not that I feel I need it or could truly reap the benefits of it with my current skill set. It’s just a matter of not wanting to dump the money into my current junk 😊 lol
Yes the suspension is wide open in CAM. I'm running a full MM setup on my car with an 04 IRS installed in it. Here's a link to the CAM rules.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-26/download&usg=AOvVaw1_tdMCYGX4oHBlK218bQV9

This the link to my CAM-T build I went over board because I wanted to but its not all necessary.

1992 LX The street to track to street again build.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Peter92lx,

Thanks for the compliment about my videos. It's great to hear that people consider them a helpful resource. Your car sounds like it would be a lot of fun on an autocross course!

90lxhatch93,

CAM Class was created to allow for heavily-modified cars to compete with very few rules. It's a good idea to read through the rules Peter92lx posted, because you want to make sure you are legal. As a Novice, your goal is to learn BEFORE you modify your car. That will save you money and allow you to build the car to suit your driving style (once you establish one). When you are just starting out, don't worry if your car isn't as prepped as your competition. Focus on your driving. CAM drivers are usually very helpful. Getting instruction and riding along in other CAM cars will help a lot.

As you can see in my videos, I've been able to win in cars that don't have aftermarket K-members or coil overs. And the fastest autocross car I own is my 220 hp 2004 IRS-swapped V6. Mods matter, but your technique is more important. I would encourage you to run with the mods you have and learn the basics. You will learn more about car-control driving an under-prepped car than you will driving a fully-prepped CAM car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts