Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need to replace my rods.

I can get eagle SIR rods for $250ish from Summit, Scat is $400+.

Are the eagles any good? Or does the scat rods kick butt?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Depends on what you want to build. SCAT has a stock replacement 4130 rod that is only around $210, pressed pin or full floating pin. How much horsepower are you planning to have? Naturally aspirated or with a power adder? RPM's? Both should have what you want and at similar prices.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Clint @ cnc motorsports can hook you up...I tried Brian @ AD and it took him 6 weeks to find out that it would be another 3 weeks until I could get my crank and rods from Scat, called Clint @ CNC and had my parts in 3 days and cost less too...

By the way, Scat rods are better then eagle rods in my opinion, I got some Scat 4340 forged H beams for my car $339.00...

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I too have ordered from Brian about 6 weeks ago. He blames the delay for my rotating assembly on Scat. I dont know how you got your stuff so quick, although mine was a forged Crank.

There wont be a next rotating assembly for me. Sure does suck waiting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ordered a Scat forged crank & rods from Brian along with a pioneer balancer and Probe pistons, 6 weeks later,I have to call Scat and find out it would be another 2-3 weeks...So I cancelled the order with Brian and called CNC motorsports, they had the crank and rods in stock and 3 days later I had the parts, I wish I had gone with CNC from the beginning and it would not have taken a month and a half to get my R.A. and my car would already be done...Don't get me wrong Brian is a nice guy and his customer service is great, but I needed more then customer service I needed parts and he just could not deliver...

Now I have talked with Scat directly and they are back ordered and Brian didn't have what I needed in stock,so it was really not his fault, but in the end it doesn't matter whos fault it was, I didn't get my parts for over a month until I called Clint @ CNC....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am a retailer and I know what it's like not being able to get parts... it is FRUSTRATING. AFR right now has a three month backorder on just about everything. Anyway, I doubt it's Brians fault and I hope this won't be an AD Performance bash thread....

Back on topic... I prefer Scat.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
All that stuff is chinese.. however.. as far as balancing is concerned, the Eagle rods were always pretty close when measuring the rod big end and then the whole rod.. David - Engine Systems, Tucker Ga

·
Registered
477 Posts
n8s, I don't see how you could get bashing Brian out of my post, i said he has great customer service, he is a nice guy and it really wasn't his fault, what do you want me to do more then that to not bash on Brian, I had to get my car going so I could not wait it out with Brian any more, and this guy is probably in the same boat i was in, I was just trying to give him a place to go that might have what he needs in stock and not have to wait another month...DANG

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some of these companys put people off on purpose just to give them enough time to build. AFR is a good example but they are great about backing their product. I sent a set of bad 185 heads back to AFR that I ran 3 years. I had a new set of 205 heads one week after AFR received old set. Why it takes so long for original orders I don't know.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
MUSTANG393 said:
n8s, I don't see how you could get bashing Brian out of my post, i said he has great customer service, he is a nice guy and it really wasn't his fault, what do you want me to do more then that to not bash on Brian, I had to get my car going so I could not wait it out with Brian any more, and this guy is probably in the same boat i was in, I was just trying to give him a place to go that might have what he needs in stock and not have to wait another month...DANG
I wasn't referring to you... or anybody really.

:)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ALLEN 1 said:
Some of these companys put people off on purpose just to give them enough time to build. AFR is a good example but they are great about backing their product. I sent a set of bad 185 heads back to AFR that I ran 3 years. I had a new set of 205 heads one week after AFR received old set. Why it takes so long for original orders I don't know.
THAT is what I don't get. I had one customer literally wait 4+ months for a set of 225's. I called AFR, told them the scoop, and they had a set in the mail the next day. Exact same thing just recently with a set of Chevy 210's... I don't get it?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Having to deal with all of the above companies you can never win them all...

I carry Eagle's internal balance forged cranks because, frankly, I feel that they're a superior designed crank at this point in the game. They internal balance without heavy metal, Scat's are a nice piece but they're external balance. They're the same price, when push comes to shove I make my choice and that's what it currently is.

Unfortunately, no one can stock everything and Eagle doesn't carry 3.85 forgings. Hence we ended up where we ended up. :(

I try to inform the best that I can and deal with back orders as they arrise, EVERY comapny (including companies with millions in inventory like Summit) deal with back orders. Again, sometimes you've got it and sometimes you don't. What I can say is that they do happen and I do my best to accomidate when they do.

BTW Andrew, you've got mail.

As for AFR I waited 8 weeks (!!!) for my last run of heads. There are some changes at AFR that effected that but the fact of the matter is that it took as long as it did. No one can plan for that and it's a major PITA for a distributor/retailer to be told 4 weeks, and plan on 4 weeks, only to have it stretch to 2x that. It's also why I try to stock their heads, their wait time is substantial. If you have a specific problem they are very good about resolving it though, which is helpful if it comes up.

Now, to answer the original question.

You're talking about 2 different types of rods, an Eagle I-beam and a Scat H-beam.

A better comparision would be an Eagle I-beam and a Scat I-beam.

OR

An Eagle H-beam and a Scat H-beam.

Without knowing what you're doing it's hard to recommend one rod or another. Eagle's SIR rods are very popular, although Scat's I-beams are a 4340 grade of steel (better than Eagle's 5140.)

You'll get opinions both ways.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am running a NA 351w roller cammed motor. It has Edelbrock RPM heads, and intake. Roller cam has 498/512 lift.

I have stock pistons.......BUT I need to see what is damaged.....may need new pistons.

So: 351W NA hard street use/occasional (rare) strip duty.

Eagle I beams look good for the price.......money is TIGHT right now since we just bought a GT VERT as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts