Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Anyone know of a Good person or place for a gear set install in the San Antonio Area?
My first mod is going to be a set of 3.73 or 3.90 gears. I can install them myself ( remove the old set and replace) but I do not know how to measure Backlash, etc. and don't want to end up with having to rebuild the rearend because of it.

Also, I see advertisements for "install kits" with a new crush sleeve, bolts, etc. Is this really needed?

Thanks in advance for the input
Jim

·
Registered
889 Posts
Are you for sure looking for a reputable shop? I know my brother can do it...he's done mine and a couple others, he's the only guy I let touch my car...pm me if you have any ?'s.

If you're looking to get it done by a reputable shop in the area I understand...Look up info on The Hot Rod Store or Team Extreme Racing, those are the only 2 I'd probably go to if I had too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey man, i live here in sa and know some people that can do if for you. leave me your e-mail and i will give you there numbers. i'm really new a this corral stuff so i don't know how to pick up pm's as i think there called. if you could tell me how i'd appreciate it. tommy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hey man here's some help on the PM's...hope this works out.

To check PM's...
1) At the top of the screen there should be some purple links, the one on the far left should be a user cp link...hit that one.

2) From this page, there should be links on the right hand side that read View All Private Messages and Private Messages..hit either link.

3) This page should show your PM's. Alot of the time even if you get a notification that you have a new PM one won't show...be sure to check the drop down menu for 'Show Messages from:'...select something from the menu such as 'last day' or 'last 2 days' to double check. Usually by default it will only show you messages if they were sent to you that day so using that menu will double check for messages sent to you from up to how ever many days you select.

To send a PM...
Simply find their post and hit the PM link that corresponds to their post. A new screen will come up and their username should be on it...simply write and hit the send link.

tdm94gt...I sent you one as a test.

·
Registered
389 Posts
not for nothing but ive changed gears myself on four 5.0's and never checked a damn thing...i just used the same shims and old crush collar and never had a problem..has anybody else run into problems installing gears without checking clearance ? ....ive never had a friend say they had clearance issues either...i was just wondering what the general consensus was?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have heard people say If you use Ford Motorsports gears it will work but im still saving up for the gears so , i cant tell yet, I will probably give it a try and use the wear indicating paint then check them after a few weeks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
twintorbosaleen...you are 100% correct...but i am extremely thickheaded and that beats correct everytime.

ur2slow- i had heard the same b:bs: about richmond gears...but i just installed summit racing gears in my 94 with no problems...so im thinking its just a crap shoot..the real question is are you a gambler or not?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will be in San Antonio in August at Randolf Air Force Base. I will retire there. I know there is a shop across from Randolf, I think it is called FPS but I am not for certain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts