Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03GT with a Saleen Series 4 supercharger and am about to forge the engine, PP the heads & manifold, put in a blower cam, reflash, & dyno tune.

I checked out the Lysholm site & understand the S4 is a 1600AX & the S5 is the 2300AX. I was told by Saleen that the S4 & S5 manifolds are the same and that Saleen only sells the full S5 kit for a bazillion dollars - they don't sell a simple upgrade from the S4 to the S5.

It is probably too simple to assume you can just swap out the 1600 for the 2300, upgrade the fuel system, MAF, & retune - isn't it??????

Has anyone done this upgrade?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know that the inlet tubes are the same, but it requires some minor machining to make it fit the 2300. The bypass and adapter plates are probably different. Its a longer blower, so it may be a tight fit in the back. I don't know what else is required.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Forget about series 5 upgrade, just throw the KB blower in, it is better than any of the saleen 1 to 5 ! You'll make more power that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saleen S4 to S5 Upgrade

00S281s/c368 said:
Forget about series 5 upgrade, just throw the KB blower in, it is better than any of the saleen 1 to 5 ! You'll make more power that way.
I am starting to think that way as well & am thinking about a Vortech or Paxton, possibly a KB - need to do more research. It seems the centrifugal superchargers are putting out the bigger numbers & faster times.

I'm looking for 500 - 600 RWHP & don't want to be severely limited in potential HP gains because I bought a supercharger that has little potential for growth. Live & learn (expensive lesson).

Looks like with the HP in your car you may have made the swap to KB. If so, what did you do with your old supercharger?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes I made the KB swapp about 3 month ago. I still have the saleen supercharger sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
tfmartin said:

It is probably too simple to assume you can just swap out the 1600 for the 2300, upgrade the fuel system, MAF, & retune - isn't it??????

Has anyone done this upgrade?
TJM O1 has done something like that. Or he is in the process.

He bought the 2300 directly from Whipple; modded a lightning intake; and god knows what else. . . he posted a link to a Whipple cobra putting down 500+ hp and 600 + torque, so it is , at the very least, comparable to the Kenne Bell blower.

I dont think Kenne Bell sells components either. . . you must buy the whole kit and kiboodle, which approachs 6 grand when you add in all in the necessary extras. . . .

Either way, if you are goingto rebuild the engine to support greater hp, might as well go for a bigger blower too, b/c you wont get major perf improvement from the Series 4 even if you went the port, pulley, fuel upgrade route. . . it will max out before you want.

If you are going to go that route. . . why not just dump the Speedster (GT), buy a Cobra (that already has a forged 32 valve engine), and then drop a few dollars on some simple mods and drive a 500 hp daily driver???

:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
cause cobras are 36k plus!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts