Ford Mustang Forums banner

S&W rollcage??

662 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rtz 
#1 ·
i heard that they are bolt in but their website (www.swracecars.com) doesn't say if it can be welded or bolted in

i don't have a welder, but i would like a cage, can i bolt one of these in?

i like the 8-point, that is $149, is there a different one that bolts in?

if i bolt it in, can i weld it later on?

#2 ·
You can bolt the cage to the floor if you want, but you'll still be required to do welding.

There are mounting plates wherever the bars contact the floor and the bars are supposed to be welded to the plates. Then, you can either bolt in the plates or weld them. Whichever method you chose, you should get an identical plate and place it on the underside of where the original plate is. This second plate should be bolted to the original plate. That spreads the load over a large area of the floorpan.

#3 ·
I need one of those, SW seems to have about the best price too. Is that something I could bolt on in my garage and then take to a welder later when I have some $$$?

So far the tech guys haven't sent me home but I definetly need something in there before I move on to a bigger shot. Thanks for any feedback.

#6 ·
I bought and installed the S&W 8 pt. rollbar in my 90 hatch and I'm very happy with it. If definately is NOT a bolt in.

Lots of cutting and mucho welding. I have a MIG welder so it wasn't a big deal. I easily have 20+ hours in it including removing the interior and painting.

I also installed the optional swing out side bars.

Not a job for the faint of heart :D

#8 ·
Check out Auto Power roll bars, post a message in the road race forum and they can point you straight, or pick up a MM&FF and look up Carolina Mustang, the sell Autopower, I got mine from them 6 years ago, pleased with the bar, it was a 4-pt with a removeable X-brace. Removed it to go with an S&W 8pt cage, as I am going with a blower, I caught the 8pt kit on sale online and drove up to PA to get the kits. They come as a bundle of bars, and you will need some weld/fab skills to get it done. But the guys up there are nice and they have a nice shop. Call and speak to Don Scholl, he'll take care of you if you go the S&W route. The auto powers are good, but as I recall, they aren't NHRA legal, just an extra .02 Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.