Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda bored,and just wanted to know what kinds of plugs,gap,boost everyone with Boost a spark system runs.
I have motorcraft 22'c gapped at .35 and 15psi. Boost a spark on full with hobbs switch to come on at 5psi. Anyone performed any tests on adjusting bas lower to see what they can get away with? TIA

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No testing...but I run BAS at full (hard wired always on), .035 gap and Autolite 764 plugs.....16psi.

Tom Crews

·
Registered
417 Posts
I run a BAP as a BAS, cranked all the way up all the time (only thing that really solved my spark blowout issues). My KB puts out around 10-11 lbs of boost. I use Autolite 764's right out of the box, I replace them at every oil change.

And, by the way, just drove it today for the first time in a long time, and DAMN she is sweeeeeet!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom. Do you think any bad long term effects could happen to your coils with that much voltage all the time. BAS just makes sure the voltage is there right at the coils;t doesn't really make the spark any more powerful? I thought I had read that somewhere.
David,Why do you change your plugs every oil change? Also I was going to run my 20ampbap as bas but Kenne bell said not to,The bap isn't strong enough..something about total wattage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
tim351 said:
David,Why do you change your plugs every oil change? Also I was going to run my 20ampbap as bas but Kenne bell said not to,The bap isn't strong enough..something about total wattage.
I change them every oil change because the car runs better with fresh plugs, and they're only 10 bucks for the set. Considering that the oil / filter is at least $30, it's not much more to do the plugs. I should note that I also like to read the plugs.. except when they get that bright, shiny stuff all over the element..

As far as the BAP not being strong enough, I don't know about that.. I've heard that the two are exactly the same. Regardless, I was getting spark blowout, I really noticed it on this one big hill near my house - I'd nail it, and the car would stumble and miss after ~4k. I guess it was happening all the time at high rpm's, just more noticeable going up a steep hill. Tried all sorts of "fixes" - nothing worked until I installed the BAP as a BAS. Immediately after installing it I drove up that hill and the motor pulled all the way thru - didn't miss or stumble at all. Plus, for me it was a no-brainer.. I had the BAP sitting around doing nothing, as it came w/ my KB kit (I used it as a BAP initially, but it didn't solve my detonation problems - a 255 intank along with an inline pump solved that).

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
tim351 said:
Tom. Do you think any bad long term effects could happen to your coils with that much voltage all the time. BAS just makes sure the voltage is there right at the coils;t doesn't really make the spark any more powerful? I thought I had read that somewhere.
I'm not sure but I believe you are correct in that it doesn't make it stronger, just makes sure it's at it's peak all the time.

I'm not too worried about it, shouldn't be any worse than when I was running the MSD DIS-4 :)

Tom Crews

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
i run 12c plugs without a bas at .026 with 18psi.

do yall think the bas would help?

i haven't run it yet so i don't know if im gonna blow out the spark above 7k.

8.5 CR

·
Registered
236 Posts
I run the BAS and have since 97 ($50k miles) everyday all the time @ 75% (no hobbs) 15lbs of boost. Used to gap my plugs (TR-6's sometimes Champions) @ .040, last time just for grins went to .044. No issues...

Rob
96 SHM Vobra

·
Registered
417 Posts
99svt32v said:
do yall think the bas would help?
If you have any problems w/ blow out, try the BAS .. it worked very well for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts