Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used stock shortblock about 2 weeks ago. It's been sitting around for about a month and when I was cleaning it up I noticed a little rust on a few of the cylinder walls. I don't know if it is actually the cylinder walls rusting, or if rust from the outside of the engine just got into the cylinder bores. After I used brake cleaner on it and WD40'd it, the cylinders look very clean.

Are there any potential problems I could run into?

Thanks, Brad.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm going through the same thing myself. I am replacing the heads on a motor that sound with a blown head gasket for a year, and there was a little rust in a couple of the cylinder heads. I soaked them in WD-40 and left them for a couple of weeks.

After that, they looked and felt fine to the touch. As long as they are still smooth, and you can't feel any real large imperfections in the cylinder walls, you should be ok.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I agree with the oil and brillo pad, not sure if it's worth going through the trouble of honing.

I had faint crescent shaped rust marks in the cylinders of the motor I have now. I cleaned them out with a brillo pad and oil, they came 99% out.

I bet the other 1% went out the tail pipe after the first 500 revolutions. No problems since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I was a little scared, but that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Brad.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
cylinder wall rust

about 6 months ago i installed a 5.0 engine from my buddies rollover into my car. it sat in my dads shed for 4 years & has 100k on it & runs mint & has efi. however i replaced the oilpump w/ melling hv & repl. the pan, all gaskets on motor,cleaned, painted & detailed the block in bright red. i seriously doubt you have anything to worry about!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts