Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To give a little backround I just finished changing head gaskets, timing chain, timing chain cover and gasket.. and motor mounts.. energy suspension mounts.. very nice!

To get to the problem.. well i've been missing a valve cover bolt for a while now. When I put it all back together I left out the valve cover bolt in a different spot then before so I would have easy access to replace it.. i left out the valve cover bolt on the passenger head back by the firewall.. on the exhaust side of the head.. well .. in turn oil went all down inside my header.. MAC 1 5/8 longtubes..if i let the car idle it stains the concrete w/oil spit! my exhuast is literally spitting out gas as well because it's runnig so rich.. gas on both sides.. oil only on the passenger side. I pulled my h-pipe off (w/cats) and the header is completely coated w/oil on the inside of it.. i wiped it out the best i could but theres still residual oil on the inside of the tubes..

my question is the oxygen sensor.. if only the passenger oxygen sensor was affected by the oil would both sides of my exhaust be running rich?? both sides are very rich.. i'm getting 8 mpg.. i'm under the impression that if one gets screwed up then the fuel map is screwed up for both banks of the engine..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
831 Posts
I doubt very much that oil is leaking INTO your headers. WTF?
If there is that much oil blowing out the exhaust, you can bet that its getting by the piston rings. Its probably just black soot from running so rich.
How does she run? missing at all?
There are a LOT of reasons for it to run rich, did you upgrade the injectors or fuel system? Is the 'check engine' light on?- if so, get some codes pulled and post them.
If your problems started happening after you did the head gaskets etc., YOu should go over your work and make sure all the sensors are plugged in all the way, especially the two big 'salt and pepper' connectors at the back of the upper intake.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's definitley leaked down into my header.. the exhaust gasket was completley soaked w/oil coming from that cylinder.. for two days I had oil leaking from the collector of the header! just dripping right on the ground.. i doubt i'm getting that much blow by.. this was never a problem before.. it's not missing at all.. it was at first b/c that plug was fouled b/c of all the oil but not now.. all sensors are plugged and and the wiring harness connections on the back side of the intake are good to go. i have't pulled codes yet.. i can't find my scanner.. i may just go buy another.. no upgrade to anything in the fuel system except for the fuel pressure regulator.. i put a stock replacement one in from pepboys..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just got another code scanner.. i'll scan it and let you gusy know what i come up with.. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts