Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at the pics and tell me if you would consider running this upper as is or attempt to repair it. If repairing how would you go about it? For reference the crack is on the rear, passenger side ear.
Eye Tire Automotive tire Sculpture Plant
Grey Wood Eyelash Tints and shades Concrete
Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Material property Gas Plumbing
Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Rim Water
Thanks!

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
323 Posts
Since it’s off- I say , no better time to get it welded up.
They will have to grind some material around the crack out and sometimes cast aluminum can be “dirty” and a little bit difficult to weld.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will have to grind some material around the crack out and sometimes cast aluminum can be “dirty” and a little bit difficult to weld.
That was my thought until I had a local welding shop look at it. The cost seemed prohibitive, along with " you may have to flat mill the gasket surface after welding ".

Repair. We do them all the time.
What would be a "typical" cost I should pay?

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
We've never had a problem welding them, just have to prep it correctly.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Try another place. That is an easy weld job. Maybe 100 or so for the weld.

If you want to try and prevent it from warping, have it welded bolted down to a steel plate or even the lower (no gasket obviously). After welding, check it with a straight edge. If its decent, use two gaskets and some gasket sealer and you should be fine.

·
USAF retired
9,585 Posts
Common failure point

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Try another place. That is an easy weld job. Maybe 100 or so for the weld.

If you want to try and prevent it from warping, have it welded bolted down to a steel plate or even the lower (no gasket obviously). After welding, check it with a straight edge. If its decent, use two gaskets and some gasket sealer and you should be fine.
THIS, since the crack is not all the way through, bolt it to the lower gently, use a cut off wheel to grind a V the bottom of the V being at the base of the crack then weld it up. Any good welder can do all that in less than an hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was my thought until I had a local welding shop look at it. The cost seemed prohibitive, along with " you may have to flat mill the gasket surface after welding ".

What would be a "typical" cost I should pay?
We just repair 3 of them this past weekend. This is common on these manifolds and aftermarket manifolds when people runs spacers, run the cheap gaskets or overtighten them. PM us if you want to send it to us to get repaired. It's not going to cost you any where near what the other guys quoted you. You can also Google us at Bigdogs porting for more content to get more familiar with our company. We have 3 experienced welders on staff.

Attachments

·
Old timer
6,412 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Lol Ed. $400? They're high. If you lived closer to me, I'd weld that up for free just to help you out (have zero desire to ship things around; but love using my TIG). An easy fix. Remove the powder coat, grind out the crack, bolt it down to something, preheat the piece (just makes things play nicer and burns off any oil that worked its way into the aluminum/crack) and have at it. Could easily be done in under an hour.

I would definitely not run it as is.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
You don't have to mill it.
You could tape some sandpaper to a flat pane of glass, and slide it back and forth until it is dead flat.
it's aluminum, shouldn't be too bad. I TIG aluminum all the time, $400 is crazy high for that repair imho

·
Registered
575 Posts
You don't have to mill it.
You could tape some sandpaper to a flat pane of glass, and slide it back and forth until it is dead flat.
it's aluminum, shouldn't be too bad. I TIG aluminum all the time, $400 is crazy high for that repair imho
yes several ways to make sure it's flat. i mill because it's easy and i have one... takes just minutes.. if you dont have one thats ok. once i used a long horse shoe file to surface a big block chevy head after torching it to the outside at a race on friday night... Saturday we were back racing. it's amazing what you can do in the pits when your short on tools and equipment. fuel'd by beer and bad decisions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts