Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the addition of a Performer RPM efi intake that has been ported to 1262 gasket hurt the performance on my stock 5.0.

I am thinking about adding an e303 cam and may be some edlebrock 202/160 heads.

[email protected]

·
Registered
870 Posts
it would be a pig down low and seem to have lost power(less torque) but should run better on the highway as rpm's increase. it will really scream on the upper rpm's with those heads but that cam will hurt you more with that combo imo. you will also need larger exhaust throttle body 65 mm, larger air meter, better exhaust to get the most out of those parts. are the heads port matched to the intake? just gasket matching to a 1262 gasket is impropper. if that's the case i would just pass and get a new or unported version so down the road you can have it ported and matched to your heads precisely and not some generic size or shape

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'd say buy the intake,you will lose power down low,but if you buy heads and a cam you'll get a lot more power(up high)with that intake,gasket matching is not porting though,you will not get that much extra flow from a gasket match,don't let somebody tell you it cost a lot or it will make a ton more power than a stock rpm intake.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i wouldn't put a gasket matched rpm intake on a stock 5.0....figure out what you want from the car and plan your parts from there. i have the e cam and rpm intake, but i also have better heads and exhaust, gear, etc. i am very happy with how it runs. good luck with your choice! get back to me if i can help. see ya, jb

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree that if you buy the rpm, you probably will wish you would have waited or bought something different. If you have full exhaust, buy my explorer intake for $250. I bought this intake with a stock engine, E cam, full exhaust and 3.55's. Definitely worth the money IMO. Didn't hurt low end at all, and really helped the mid and upper range. I also want to say that I never saw any performance gains at the track with the E cam over the stock cam.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No heads no power. You will gain 70-80 hp if you do the heads as well, going from a stock bolt on power of about 220 to about 300 rwhp.

Unfortunately, you will probably slow up at the track with the combo you are planning. You may gain some top end, but the loss of low and midrange from that intake/mismatch will kill you.

Put a set of slightly milled TFS-TW or AFR165's on there and a 1250 matched Performer (RPM if you get a rev limiter extender and can shift up near 6500 rpm) with a 224/232 ish cam, longtubes and 4.10's. You won't be sorry. This setup may get you 320 rwhp or more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ran the RPM intake on my stock 90lx and loved it. I ran consistant 13.50's at 105. My combo then was RPM intake, 70mm T/B, 73mm MAF, MAC cold air kit, 1 5/8 equal length headers, off road x pipe, 2 chamber Flowmasters, stock 2.73 gears, radials (not drag radials), 5 speed, underdrive pulley's, stock heads (unported), and stock cam and rockers. The car's race weight was 3200lb's with me in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts