Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an upgrade from Mobil One? Found some local on the cheap.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
I read a test (somewhere, don't remember where just now) that did a comparision of all the major synthetics and it did rate Royal Purple as one of the best. But the differences are so slight, I wouldn't pay extra for it, I'd stick with the Moblie One. (I assume your Z06 requires the synthetic?)

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric.

TTT, for the others.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just made the switch from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple Race 21. This list for $10/quart, but I got it for $6.50/quart. I know of 3 serious racers here in ATL that use Royal Purple, all who have legitimate HP gains on the dyno from the change. My mechanic says it's the real deal when it comes to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
do they make royal purple in 5w30???

what weight are you using?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97MattGT said:
do they make royal purple in 5w30???

what weight are you using?
They make it in every weight usually available, to my knowledge.

www.royalpurple.com

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's in it?

I have some problems with this product, although I am sure it is fine as an engine oil.

1) The website is full of rather "bloated" claims that do not have the ring of science to them. And their technical section shows a lot of fancy graphs that have no meaningful scale using standardized indices, and the comparatine synthetic oil is not identified - hell, it could be Syntec

2) RP does not state what their synthetic base is - G3 hydrocracked, G4 di-ester or PAO, or a G5 ester (not at that price)?

3) Do you think this company has the engineering horsepower of, say, Mobil? Is it endrosed widely by racers on tracks(like Red Line) , or just drag racing?

4) The purple dye is a gimmick - it adds nothing except an additional cost element

I am a tribologist by training, and find the lack of clear and disciplined scientific reference on their site to be a challenge for me to take this product seriously.

Plus, at the price point they sell at, how could they provide the miracle in a bottle better than Mobil 1 at the same price point, when ExxonMobil has tremendous mfg scales of economy, and mfg vertical integration (you MBA's will know what I mean)?

Too many unknowns for me, and I find web anecdotes and testimonials fairly meaningless.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Cobra'03, I figure you're as a good person to ask as anyone else, do you know anything about the new mobil 1 "supersyn" stuff? Would it be better or worse than their old stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think he went over this in a previous post, but I'm not sure.

I've read that it's a bit better, but not sure where. Definitely it's more expensive.

Sorry to be so vague.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doh! Thanks lo pony, I looked around and found it, I really should use that "search" feature more often :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
LOL, now that you mention it, I'm curious as to what he said, since I'm running the "supersyn" stuff myself. :)

Later -

T

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have used Royal Purple (5W-30) since I got the car in 1998. I usually change the oil at 1000-2000 mile increments just as precaution for my car. I recently pulled and broke down the motor for head studs and refurbishing, and the whole inside of the engine looked as if it came of the assembly line 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did post on Super Syn a while back - it uses Group 4 PAO's and E-M's proprietary additives - it will outperform Tri-Syn.

Mode101: Changing the oil as often as you do, you could probably use Wesson oil and have the same result;) !

Mobil had the same result with cars run for hundreds of thousands of miles with much less frequent changes - I have pictures of the oil galleys and they looked immaculate also.

Point is, you can go with either oil and do fine; I just am of the (from my warped engineering/scientific mind) perspective more likely to use a product that comes with a strong engineering heritage, rather than what I call a "cult" item. And the RP web site is sadly lacking in real info - I do not like to play dice with a $10k engine. So I will likely go with MOBIL 1 or Red Line, both of whom have strong racing, OEM, or both endorsements.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just purchased some Royal Purple from Jegs.....It is priced very reasonable there......Just my .02....

·
Registered
204 Posts
01BadGT said:
Just purchased some Royal Purple from Jegs.....It is priced very reasonable there......Just my .02....
How much did you get it for? Was this Race 21? Just trying to compare to my purchase price here in ATL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Atlanta_GTer said:

How much did you get it for? Was this Race 21? Just trying to compare to my purchase price here in ATL.
Jeg's sells the Race 21 for 7.99/quart and OEM oils for 4.99/quart. Where do you get yours in ATL?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pig said:

Jeg's sells the Race 21 for 7.99/quart and OEM oils for 4.99/quart. Where do you get yours in ATL?
Georgia Western Inc. located in Kennesaw.
$80.00/case = $6.66/quart

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheapest place to get it is www.oiltown.com

Man, that stuff is cheap in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts