Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the rotor/bearing nut on the front spindles be finger loose? (If that makes sense?)
I took mine apart today to get the rotors turned, and all I had to do was turn it by hand. No ratchet or wrench needed. Is that normal?

On a related note, what can I clean up the bearings and spindle with prior to putting on new rotors, seals, and grease? Is brake cleaner okay?

Thanks
Matty

·
Registered
188 Posts
front wheel bearings.............

Brake cleaner will work ok for cleaning...To adjust wheel bearings
use a long 1/2 braker bar,tighten down till bearing is snug,then turn about 1/2-3/4 more while you turn rotor , then loosen
about 1/2 a turn,till nut is loose again,then allow braker bar to
"fall" foward (about 1/2 a turn)adjusting to line up cotter key,allways tighen to make cotter key fit,don't loosen...:)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I use a adj wrench but do the same thing that is above tighten the nut while spinning the rotor..it will be slightly more then finger tight but not tight. You should clena it all up with parts cleaner or brake cleaner, re grease it all and re-pack the bearings, both inner and outer. You can buy a cheap bearing packer or repack them in the palm of your hand by smaking the bearing into the grease in your hand over and over to you are puching it out the other side. Use new cotter pins they are not ment to be reused. Also polish the pins that all the caliper to slide in and out and grease them also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts