Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ideas? Suggestions? Pics or drawings? Any help is appreciated.

I am ready to put my car up on the rotisserie. The back mounting points are obvious (I think) - attaching at same points the rear bumper reinforcement brackets mount.

Here (passenger side)...

and here (driver side)...

The front is a different story. I am sure I don't want to use the front bumper mounts - they just appear too flimsy, and are made to crumple after all...

I'd like to get back to where the k-member mounts...

But the radiator support prevents going directly underneath (yellow) and the lip around it gets in the way of tying into the side of the frame rail (red).

I could shim the frame rail side top get past the lip, or I could fab some kind of plate to tie into the k-member location. It's a long reach to the k-member spot, so I'm worried about twisting the plate - or worse, the frame rail.

Ideas? Suggestions? Pics or drawings? Any help is appreciated.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any help as I would like to know as well...

I have done Fox body cars by just mounting them to the bumper mounts. I have a SN95 in the shop right now and considered putting it on my rotisserie but after getting it stripped down the under side did not look that bad so I didn't bother fabbing up mounts. I ended up just putting the SN95 on the lift and cleaning everything up with a wire wheel on an air grinder.

If you come up with something please post up pics as I would like to see just for future reference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will def post whatever I come up with - and whether the results are successful or disastrous! I am hoping that I am not the first forum user to do a rotisserie on an SN95. A member on another forum suggested I contact cjponyparts to see if they had anything to offer to the discussion. Fingers crossed!

BTW, you can see where I started the wire wheel clean up on this car. That was fine for the engine bay, but past the trans tunnel toward the back of the car... whew, that was going to be a couple hundred hours of work.

I decided to go with media blasting (abrasive for the really bad spots) and an epoxy coating. I'm applying sandblast stencil material to the skins of the car and anywhere else I don't want paint stripped. Crazy for an SN95, probably. But it'll sure be pretty when it's done.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would try the bumper mounts. There is a lot more to them than it appears. I just changed one on my daughter's car this summer. It extends into the frame and it spot welded to it also. Basically the core support, frame rail and bumper support all get tied together.

Also I had mine stripped down like yours last year. Only thing left on the car was the rearend, deck lid, and quarter glass. I could pick the front end up like a wheel barrow to move the car. So its not a huge amount of weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'll try the bumper mounts. I put a jack under them tonight and lifted the front very easily. Of course the rear jack stands are still holding a lot of the weight.

I will be attempting this mount next weekend. This week I am getting my playhouse ready for the toys... finishing the wiring and plumbing in the air system for the big compressor. The rotisserie is over there right now.

I'll take some pics. Fingers crossed for very little overtime this week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, someone reminded me the reason I am leery of using the bumper mounts up front is that they are designed to crumple. Failure is their purpose.

Sheez, I don't want to be the guy to find out they are not strong enough for mounting on a rotisserie because that would suck and be very expensive. Still looking for advice, I guess...:confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
They are designed to crumple in a impact. The forces in a wreck are astronomical compared to just supporting weight. Imagine how much momentum a 3000lb car has while its moving. Ive replaced these on my car since i bought it totaled. the seemed to be very strong and well supported. Ive had my 68 stang on a rotiserrie so i know how the suport thr weight. Had the rear of it mounted to where the bumper bolts on which is just sheet metal. No probs with it. I would use the front bumper mounts if i were doing this. If you do that and it does fail though just act like i didnt say anything lol. Use your own judgement. If you get it on there are it looks flimsy then take it down and rethink it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You know, someone reminded me the reason I am leery of using the bumper mounts up front is that they are designed to crumple. Failure is their purpose.

Sheez, I don't want to be the guy to find out they are not strong enough for mounting on a rotisserie because that would suck and be very expensive. Still looking for advice, I guess...:confused:
I don't blame you for not wanting to use the SN95 bumper mounts. The Fox bumper mounts are very robust compared to the SN95's. I recall the first time I took a SN95 apart thinking those bumper mounts "sure look flimsy".

But like like fast94gt suggested they may be Ok. It really isn't much to these cars once you get them stripped down... Maybe try them with a jack under the frame rails blocked up to give the uni-body some support in the front. You could slowly lower the jack while seeing how much support the bumper mounts provide.

However, I was thinking about this last night and I do recall several years ago I was visiting a shop and the guy had a Fox on a rotisserie. He had made "arms" to go to the front frame rails as you suggested in your first post along with gussets to support the "arms" coming off of the rotisserie mount. I recall this because I ask him why he didn't just use the bumper mounts and he told me that he had to replace the core support...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I emailed the friendly folks at CJ Pony Parts and they responded with good news - the front bumper mounts are indeed the correct spot to hang this thing on a rotisserie. James Rice was generous enough to share this info...

Good afternoon.. I will level with you, I view your inquisition in the same light.. it does look like a weakened area for hanging the body.. however, that is the correct mounting for that chassis.. as with it on the rotisserie, there will be no weight (engine, radiator etc) on the front of the car reducing hanging dead weight 500-800lbs and the mounting will be where the impact bumper mounts would be which are quite stout in a collision so you will be sound in the mounting there.. as an added safety or for piece of mind, you can make a support structure for the support during the time the car is not in motion on the rotisserie kinda like using jackstands when working on the car.. of course it is always viable you could create a mount to attach to the forward mount of the k member.. on the 94-98 cars and fox bodies too, many will drop engine/trans all at 1 time by dropping it attached to the k member to begin with so as stated earlier losing 500-800 off the front of the car ..I hope this helps.. thank you

Thanks to James and the CJ Pony Parts experts!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I emailed the friendly folks at CJ Pony Parts and they responded with good news - the front bumper mounts are indeed the correct spot to hang this thing on a rotisserie. James Rice was generous enough to share this info...

Good afternoon.. I will level with you, I view your inquisition in the same light.. it does look like a weakened area for hanging the body.. however, that is the correct mounting for that chassis.. as with it on the rotisserie, there will be no weight (engine, radiator etc) on the front of the car reducing hanging dead weight 500-800lbs and the mounting will be where the impact bumper mounts would be which are quite stout in a collision so you will be sound in the mounting there.. as an added safety or for piece of mind, you can make a support structure for the support during the time the car is not in motion on the rotisserie kinda like using jackstands when working on the car.. of course it is always viable you could create a mount to attach to the forward mount of the k member.. on the 94-98 cars and fox bodies too, many will drop engine/trans all at 1 time by dropping it attached to the k member to begin with so as stated earlier losing 500-800 off the front of the car ..I hope this helps.. thank you

Thanks to James and the CJ Pony Parts experts!
Thank you for sharing that information!!! It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think those are a very cool and extremely cost effective way to get at the bottom of your car. Watched a buddy of mine roll his VW on its side using this method and just about screamed when it hit me how much more it cost for my rotisserie. Well,I hope to get some of that back in a few months when this car comes down - that is,if I can resist another project. Well actually, for the next project I'll build the plywood spinner, and my wife will think I'm the smartest guys she knows.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,125 Posts
both are great ideas... thanks for sharing guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts