Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my motor together and I have .045 preload on the hydrolic roller cam with Motorsports full roller rockers. Still noisy, is this ok? Comp Cams says I'll still have noise roller rockers.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
fasterdamitt said:
I just got my motor together and I have .045 preload on the hydrolic roller cam with Motorsports full roller rockers. Still noisy, is this ok? Comp Cams says I'll still have noise roller rockers.
What kind of noisy? Is it muffled, like if you put your ear to the valve covers you can hear it, or a loud clacky kind of noise? Mine got quite a bit noisier with my recent cam install!

I helped a buddy install some once, and we shimmed a few of them incorrectly and it was really noise, loud clacking. As long as they are not clacking really loudly (hard to explain, but you'd probalby know) then they are probalby fine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think some noise is normal. There have been lots of threads on here discussing this. IT seems some brands are quieter than others.
Just follow the instructions carefully and you should be fine. One thing to remember when adjusting them- always allow a minute or two for the lifter to find its natural 'fully expanded' position before adjusting it down. This applies to ALL of them. Its not worth rushing the job.
good luck, G

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sound like thier just not tight enough. Maybe it's due to the fast ramp cam lobes of todays custom cams. I'm going to a race shop tomarrow to see if it sounds normal to them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
PRIMING THE OIL PUMP HELPS!(This was my first time "priming while adjusting.") On my pedestal mounts, I allowed the lifter to "relax" without any pressure on it, but snug with very little slack between rocker and pushrod. Then I primed the oil pump before adjusting each and every rocker! They are the very quiet now! Never had it so good. I've found the "When the Exhaust Starts to Open, adjust Intake...." method to work best for me. I've tried the Crane method and the method in Haynes as well. Those methods do work, but not as well in my opinion. Also, this time was not the initial startup. Engine was warm. Secondly, be PATIENT! This method takes longer, but well worth it. HTH

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are they pedestal or stud mount?

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have the tfs rockers also. they are a little bit noisy but no too bad. i was thinking about readjusting them but i don't think it will matter. i adjusted them to 3/4 turn after zero lash, i couldn't see going any tighter than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts