Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have some roller rockers from my 88 lx that I want to put in my 88 gt. On my LX it was really easy to go through the engine, it is carb, and just very simple set up. Well, I look under the hood of the GT, and it is so cluttered under there. I have never dealt w/ fuel injected engines before. So my question is, does the intake have to be torqued on, and do you think I would need my husband's help with this. It is kinda something I want to do on my own so that I don't have to deal with lip about starting something and not finishing it. I always tear the LX down, and he does most of the putting back together cause I have never used a torque arm.

I have had these roller rockers sitting in my laundry room for well over a year, and figure it is time to start adding horsepower to the car I am going to be keeping. How long do you all think this would take? I appreciate any advice you have to give me, in advance thank you.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Best thing to do would probably be to get a Hayne's repair manual specifically for that year Mustang and read up on how to remove the upper intake and all of the related components then follow these instructions for the rocker install: http://64.90.9.168/cranecams/pdf/453e.pdf (these are for the Crane brand rocker arms, but, regardless of brand, the procedure is the same)

Oh yeah, What's a torque arm?:confused: :lol:
cause I have never used a torque arm.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think she means torque wrench :)

Its pretty easy to do. Just pull the upper, its only 6 bolts, some vacum hoses, throttle cable and some wires. Then remove the valve covers, un bolt the old rockers, bolt on the new ones, reinstall the valve covers and the upper

probably take 2 hours tops

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Mars_302 said:
I think she means torque wrench
I know, I was just cracking a little joke.:D

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I caught that after I had already posted it. I don't know why I wrote arm, but I did mean wrench. I have a Chilton's manual. I know how to put them on, and install them, but I just didn't know how different it was with the intake, and all the excess stuff under the hood. I appreciate the help and advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
lol! The hardest part for me was getting the vacuum hoses back on with those little clamps they use, otherwise, it's a piece of cake.

Oh, just a hint, if after ever bolt is un-done, and you still can't get the upper off, it's probably because of this goofy bar on the back of the manifold that goes from the upper to the lower. Just follow it down to the lower manifold and unbolt it from there.

·
Registered
35,597 Posts
I remove my vacuum hoses from the other end (whatever they're connected to) so I can avoid working under the upper intake. Also, the passenger's side valve cover can be a bit tricky as it tends to get wedged in by the fuel lines and the heater pipe. Just use a screw driver to gently pry things out of the way, and don't be afraid to use a bit of force to get it to move. It will come out. Depending on the age of the car, great time to replace vacuum hoses, valve cover gaskets. And I'd have a new upper to lower gasket handy just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts