Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is a pic of the back of my car.

First is the placement of the main hoop.

Option one(red) is weld plate down on the lowest part of the floor and attach main hoop then cut hole in floor to run bars down to the subframe connectors. This option seems to really keep the seat far forward depending on the layback of the main hoop. Is there NHRA legal issues in regards to how far in degrees the main hoop is laid back?

Option two(blue) is to put the main hoop up on the box without a plate and either run the two subframe bars down at an angle towards the front of the car going through holes in the floor pan to the subframes or just going inboard with them on the same box as the main hoop.

Option three(green) is weld plates on the rear passenger floor which moves main hoop back aways and gives more room but I don't know if this is even an option. The short frame ties would have to go towards the box structure.

Next is the rear kickers.

Red is running a tube between the shock towers without a steel plate(not much area there) and then running the kickers from the main hoop down to this tube.

Green is welding plates up above the shock towers and putting a tube between the two fenders. Kickers would come down from main hoop as said above.

Blue just run kickers down form main hoop and weld plates to floor just inboard of the shock towers.

Next pic. How far should the door bars go up into the foot well?

I hope to hear from some of you that have done this job or had it done. As always pics are a good thing.:)

Here is a pic of the kit that I have in the shop. It is made by Art Morrison Enterprises.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My bar looks just like that except it's a Comp Eng. bar. I used your option 1 (red). I'm not sure what the rules are considering layback but I'm sure you can do a few degrees. 45 degrees they may have a problem with ;) You won't be able to do the getto lean with the rollbar in there. :)

You don't need to attach to the subframes unless you want to.
I was able to mount mine like option one with the seat all the way to the back of it's travel. I'm 6-1 so I drive with the seat all the way back.

You have to use the 6X6 mount plates in a uni-body car or it'll fail tech.

The rules are that it needs to loop above your head so basically almost touching the headliner. The crossbar needs to be within 6 inches of your shoulder. The door bars need to cross between your shoulder and elbow. Make sure you have your seat handy and check everything before the final weldup when everything is just tacked in place.

My door bars go into the front 3rd of the blue rectangle so they're out of the way.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dok do you have any pics of the rear tube at the shockmounts?

I plan on making option one on the main hoop work no problems and will run the 8 points. Doing the 6x6 plates on the door bars and the main hoop is a piece of cake. I am just unsure of how to plate up the tube between the shock towers. There is not 6x6 worth of space on the little shock towers.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume it's legal to bend the 6x6 plates in a sheetmetal break to better fit the floor and go up the sides of the door sill box structure?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Gotta run to a staff meeting but will continue later. Here's one idea for the trunk bar setup.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/tc89lx/roll1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/tc89lx/roll2.jpg

Steve, those are old pics of mine. Themain hoop is located just up on the rear rise. Teh foot plates gow up the rise and then back towards (and onto) the torque box area. Very strong spot and far enough back I can sit comfortably. My rear bars go all the way to the rear of the car, my X brace goes to the floor kick-up into the trunk and the side bars go to the floor outrigger at the base of the firewall. At least some support under the sheetmetal to give it a solid footing.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pics tim and john.

I have also thought about running the rear kickers to the rear of the car instead of the shocktowers. Any thoughts on this? Is it safe to weld the plates to the floor over the general gas tank area?

Guys anyone have an opinion as to wether the 6x6 plates should be fully welded around the perimeter or just a nice 1" stich weld around the perimeter?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My rear bars are located directly over the "frame" sections at the rear of the car. Well over the box channel that I guess you could call a frame. I considered connecting the "X" bracing up to my shock area but the ultimate plan was a mini-tub and coil-over conversion at some point so it would have been useless to terminate my bars there.

My base plates are all fully perimeter welded. Don't know it it makes it any better or not but why not, didn't take a whole lot of extra effort.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
468LC said:
Great pics tim and john.

I have also thought about running the rear kickers to the rear of the car instead of the shocktowers. Any thoughts on this?

Many people run them to the back so I think it's your choice. I chose to run them to the shock tower because the load from the suspension is right there and I would think that's where you want the stiffness to be.

Is it safe to weld the plates to the floor over the general gas tank area?

I think if you take it real slow you should be alright. If you decide to do it with the tank in place I would make sure it was completely full (as weird as that sounds) and do it outside in the open air. Make sure you can't smell any fumes before you start to weld and don't heat the metal up too much at one time. Of course the safest thing would be gas tank out.

Guys anyone have an opinion as to wether the 6x6 plates should be fully welded around the perimeter or just a nice 1" stich weld around the perimeter?

I couldn't find anything in the rules about this but the NHRA inspector who certified my cage was looking for a 360 degree weld. Ian didn't do his this way and got certification so I think it depends on the inspector. I would do it to be on the safe side.

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,695 Posts
Steve,
You can see how I did my install on my webpage under tech. Mine is an S&W but looks identical to yours. I have good detailed pics.
Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info Darius and Dave. I think that after having thought about it over night I am going to put the main hoop on the ledge of the backseat floor. There is a great pic of this on Ian (Blk88GT's) page but still run points 7 and 8 down to the subframes since I don't mind cutting big holes in the floor. Now I just need to make up my mind on how I am going to do the rear kickers.

LOL if will either be like darius has his or run the kickers to the rear of the car over the frame rails. Ahh decisions to make.:)
Alright guys I am going picture looking.:)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
p.s. Do the thru-the-floor frames BEFORE you do the rollcage, so you done have to contort your body around the tubing... DOH!
(did the frames the following winter)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Darius I will not be going to the extremes of through the floor subfames as the car already has some decent HPM subframe connectors on it. I will be attaching points 7 and 8 if you will like these pics of johns car.

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,695 Posts
I'll be putting my 7 and 8 points in like that as well. I need to get beefier subs than my KB super subs though.
Steve, I ran my kicker bars to the back just over the framerails. I plan to put an X brace in as well to the shock towers. I'm going to fold some 1/8th plates and rebuild the shock mount so I can run coilovers in the back.

Quick tip: When you're trying to weld the full length of the plate, jusd put the jack under the car and lift some. The floor will bend easier than the plate. Just don't go lifting the car off the ground or to where the suspension starts to extend. You'll still have to massage the plates a little but not as much.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave R said:
You'll still have to massage the plates a little but not as much.
My instructions pretty much say to get out the BFH if needed to get them to form to the car. :D

I also have a sheetmetal break at work so I can bend the plates to conform to various structures in the car.

I am hoping to get started on this project on sunday and have her done by next weekend working on it a little bit after work during the week.:evil:

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
Morrison? Ack, I certainly hope they have gotten better over the last few years...

I hate to toot my own horn, but if you haven't seen it, check out this article. :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lay it on me rob I can handle it. What kind of problems have you had?

I live about 20 minutes form them and have always had good luck.

Hehe I'll be checking out your write up here shortly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts