Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an ‘86 gt in WI and it developed a leak in the oil pressure valve midway to chicago and used 3.5L of oil and created a noise in the motor, does this sound like rod knock or a lifter issue? I changed the oil and it was clean no metal in it and I’ve been driving it with this tick for a couple days and it isn’t affecting the performance or idle. Supposed to be driving it back to nyc Tuesday and I’m a bit worried it won’t make it. Please let me know if anyone has a local shop i can stop out to and have it checked out and fixed. Your advice is greatly appreciate thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
759 Posts
At first I thought I just heard lifter tick. When you got the camera closer there was definitely some other noise I would be more concerned about.

Take a video down by the pan, see what you hear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

this is the video you requested of it near the oil pan, sounds like the noise is on the top of motor. Any good chicagoland foxbody shops around here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first I thought I just heard lifter tick. When you got the camera closer there was definitely some other noise I would be more concerned about.

Take a video down by the pan, see what you hear.
i took a video and posted it for you

·
Registered
619 Posts
Grab a timing light and figure out which cylinder it is by hooking up to the wire that flashes with the noise.
Two knocks/taps per flash is rod knock, one knock/tap per flash is valve train.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts