Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blown vert has developed a strange noise at idle on the psgr side at the heads. It sounds like a fart sound or throttled releases of gas...... intermittent.....

I performed the ECU cyl balance test and all is well according to the puter so I ask:

1. Exhaust leak - in my exp an exhaust header gasket leak is more of a tapping sound...... this is more of a muffled farting sound.........

2. Head gasket leak - does the ECU cyl bal test rule this out? There is no water in the oil or vice versa...... seems to pull pretty well. Does a blown head gasket make a farting sound in the lifter valley or to the exhaust side of the head?????

3. Rod Knock - could this be it? it only makes the sound at idle.

Any thoughts are appreciated.... before I attempt to isolate this deal.

Thanks..... This is on the vert in the sig BTW.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw...

btw the vert has 127K miles on it..... I'm orig owner with reg oil changes..... only about 15K miles with 6 psi of boost......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not to insault you or anything like that but did you check the spark plugs on that side? One of them can be alittle loose causeing that sound. My ladies car had that sound and when I looked further into it, one spark plug was hand loose. Worth a check, good luck

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea..... no insult at all....... this car has been sitting for months and I never drive it....... I put those plugs in about 2 yrs ago...... I'll check em today.

Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fixed.....

87stang - Thanks dude....

Drivers side one-loose plug.... hand tight.

Psgr Side - fart sound was a busted smog airline "farting" out the 5.0-rap at idle.

No busted head gasket or header gasket:)

I'm in business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts