Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what was required to put an IRS suspension into my 96 Cobra. I am not really a 1/4 miler(1-2 times/year), but like to occassionally play w/ others on the highway. My suspension now (HPM upper/lower CA's, Jamex springs, & Tokico 5-ways) just don't seem to cut it. The ride is pretty rough and going over bumps, the car seems to get squirley(sp?) & I know its not because of the power, hehe...

Any ideas on how to correct this w/ an IRS or make it better?

Thanks,

Mony

·
Registered
14 Posts
IRS

I put the IRS in my car. I love the difference in ride. I am not a 1/4 miler either.

You need everything from the IRS except brakes...you can use the brakes from your car. (need the irs exhaust also)

Couple of trickey items. Brake line that runs accross from driver side to passenger side. You can use the 96 model but you will have to do some bending...very careful. Also same with the caliper tubes that run from the 96 brake calipers...you will need to bend them to make the work but you can. I suggest you go to FORD dealer ask the parts guy to print out the parts diagrams for the IRS you can see how the brake lines need to be bent.

Also The brakets that mount where you quad shock goes. I had mine welded at a frame shop because I did not want to mess with the bottom two bolts.

It really is not to difficult. Shops that have done it can do it in less that 8 hours I bet. My dad and I (first timers) took 5 days of 8 hours. Just because of the little things like brake lines and what to do.

OH you also need to get the Emergency Brake cables for the IRS.

Good luck

Tom

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an IRS from a 99 Cobra for sale.

It has a 4.10 gear, limited slip diff., 2 exhaust systems available.
And you can get it with GKN stage III half-shafts or stock half-shafts.

Send me a PM or an e-mail if interested.

Later
Ron

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron-

Is there anything wrong w/ your IRS? Did you change to a live axle? How many miles on the IRS?

Thanks,

Mony

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mony,

I sent you a PM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.