Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing my gears soon, and would like to take it to a mustang shop to have it done. Mainly because they've probably done tons of gearswaps.

I'm on the southside, but anywhere near chicago/joliet is good enough.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
go ahead and post this up on www.midwestfords.org there is some people on there that have done their fair share of installs like this. they could probably suggest a place if you want to go that route.

fwiw, theres a place off of 157th and harlem in orland that has done some work for members. its over behind the olds dealer over there somewhere in that industrial area

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good question!!! I've been back here for about 1 month now, and all the shops I've talked to know less than I do about Mustangs:rolleyes: You'd figure a huge City like Chicago would have tons of Exclusive Mustang shops, but all I've found are tons of Chevy shops. The best I've found so far are Chevy shops that work on Mustangs too:rolleyes: So basically I'll have to go to Detroit or Indianapolis, Indiana every time I need some real tuning or work done.

I did find an awesome machinist that knows about Mustangs, but mostly works on classic stangs and 5.0's. He knows alot about 4.6's and is doing my engine swap. And will be also building up my built Cobra engine, but he doesn't have a lot of connections with Modular suppliers, or sell Modular parts. I wish there was a place like Sean Hyland, or Laroccas, or Steeda here:rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys. :)

Clinton is a ways away, bout 140miles to be exact. So, I think I'll have to find somewhere closer. They do sound really good though.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
StreetStuff in addison il, there a big ford shop.
A couple years ago, they quoted me $750 to install gears (included gears, bearings, etc). A bit high, I thought.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trans-Pro in Lansing is on the south side right off 80-94.

$250---install gear

get the gear from summit $189 and free shipping.it will be at your door in 3 days.

·
Registered
272 Posts
wow..... is that a motorsport gear?
its been awhile since i looked for a gear!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I second FLPexhaust.com aka Finish Line Performance. Call and ask for mitch he installed mine for under 200 if I remember right. they also have software now for a couple months to burn mustang chips. They basicly do anyting from rice to a blown 69 SS Camaro, whatever you want to go faster. Tell mitch that Hornback's buddy with the Bullitt recomended the shop so maybe he will get off of my case for buying a mustang. He drives a freaking sweet 95 t/a.

·
Registered
271 Posts
FLP in Naperville has done all of my work and they are good. I've never had a problem at all.

By the way, Mitch's Firehawk is sweet, but you have to see their 850+ hp Impala with a Lingenfilter kit on it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
dhg1667 said:
I second FLPexhaust.com aka Finish Line Performance. Call and ask for mitch he installed mine for under 200 if I remember right. they also have software now for a couple months to burn mustang chips. They basicly do anyting from rice to a blown 69 SS Camaro, whatever you want to go faster. Tell mitch that Hornback's buddy with the Bullitt recomended the shop so maybe he will get off of my case for buying a mustang. He drives a freaking sweet 95 t/a.
Great guys over there, but their labor prices suck big time let me tell you. Sound like the gear price isn't too bad, but some of the quotes are ridiculous. They tryed to get Autologic tuning, but that fell apart, so they got some backass crap that nobody uses or knows anything about. Too bad the shop is 5 min from my house.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Does anyone of these guys have a dyno w/ air/fuel sensors??? And do they use Diablo by chance???

Rob

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
BoostedGT said:
Does anyone of these guys have a dyno w/ air/fuel sensors??? And do they use Diablo by chance???

Rob
Yes FLP has an excellant dyno with a/f. I dyno my car on it twice a year. Nobody is usig Diablo in Chicago yet or anything for that fact. There are rumors of an Autologic tune coming to one of the shops near Hoffman Estates, but thats not a Ford shop either. I am running a Diablo Delta Chip tune, but thats done out of Indy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Do you have FLP's #??? I need to have my a/f looked at when I get my new engine in to make sure it cooperates with my Fordchip.com tune for my previous 2001 engine. How much do they charge for just the dyno runs with a/f curves???

Rob

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh, by the way, I talked to Jerry and Pete from Fordchip.com and they said they would come for a dyno day in Chicago if we could get enough people together with deposits:) So if anyone's interested let me know.

These guys are about the best. For the same price you can get your computer reflashed or you can have them use a Diablo Delta chip.

Rob

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BoostedGT said:
Oh, by the way, I talked to Jerry and Pete from Fordchip.com and they said they would come for a dyno day in Chicago if we could get enough people together with deposits:) So if anyone's interested let me know.
I think Doug's been down this road. Getting the Fordchip guys isn't the hard part. Getting a cooperative dyno facility is. That's why Doug goes to Indy for a tune. There are enough customers around here to handle it. Find a willing dyno owner that will spend the entire weekend at the dyno until deep in the night and you might be on to something good. I'll be needing a tune in the spring, and I'll probably be hiking to a Fordchip event.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts