Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, normally I can figure these things out but I am stumped. This weekend, I put in a stage 1 TFS cam, and TFS heads, intake and t-body. The project went very smoothly and everything went back together perfectly. I am getting spark and gas but can't get the engine to start. It turns over but just won't start.

I'm pretty certain the timing is good. Just to be sure, I pulled the number 1 plug and cranked the engine until I got compression and then turned the crank to about 2 or 3 degrees. That should be close enough to get it running.

To set the valves I turned the engine until the exhaust lifter started to move up, then adjusted to zero lash with another 3/4 turn. Next, I turned the engine over until the intake opened and went back down and set to zero lash and gave it another 3/4 turn.

I continued with the remaining cylinders. This should set them right.

Before I rip down the top of the engine again to check to see if the valves are too tight, I was hoping that someone may have some ideas.

I also have all of the vaccuum lines connected.

Anyone have any clues? Thanks Corral!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Re: Repost - Please help! Won't start???

voodoostang said:
Well, normally I can figure these things out but I am stumped. This weekend, I put in a stage 1 TFS cam, and TFS heads, intake and t-body. The project went very smoothly and everything went back together perfectly. I am getting spark and gas but can't get the engine to start. It turns over but just won't start.

I'm pretty certain the timing is good. Just to be sure, I pulled the number 1 plug and cranked the engine until I got compression and then turned the crank to about 2 or 3 degrees. That should be close enough to get it running.

To set the valves I turned the engine until the exhaust lifter started to move up, then adjusted to zero lash with another 3/4 turn. Next, I turned the engine over until the intake opened and went back down and set to zero lash and gave it another 3/4 turn.

I continued with the remaining cylinders. This should set them right.

Before I rip down the top of the engine again to check to see if the valves are too tight, I was hoping that someone may have some ideas.

I also have all of the vaccuum lines connected.

Anyone have any clues? Thanks Corral!!!
I may be reaching here dude....and i honestly dont even know what its called exactly but...make sure the little bushing that goes in between your TB and its electronics is turned the right way. When i put my TB on it was in backwards but still fit pretty good and the pig wouldnt start for anything.

Thats all i could really think of man everything else looks right...good luck dude

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the same problem after my motor swap. I wound up having an air pocket in my fuel system somewhere. I sprayed some starter fluid in it and it started right up. I didn't want to do it at all, but it worked, and I haven't seen any problems with it. Just my 2¢.

*Edit

Did you pump the lifters up before you set the valves? Turn the motor over by hand with a wrench on the crank. If you have compression you should be able to hear it. I had my valves overtightened the first time and had to pull it all off. Then I had the fuel issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95CobraofDeath (cool name) - I'm not sure I know what bushing you are talking about. I didn't see any "bushing" anywhere. As far as the electronics, are you talking about the TPS?

N20D50H - Yes, I am definitely getting compression. I am in the process of checking the valves. Hopefully that will work.

Is there any way the regulator could be pumping gas but the injectors not?

·
Registered
304 Posts
voodoostang said:
95CobraofDeath (cool name) - I'm not sure I know what bushing you are talking about. I didn't see any "bushing" anywhere. As far as the electronics, are you talking about the TPS?

N20D50H - Yes, I am definitely getting compression. I am in the process of checking the valves. Hopefully that will work.

I had pressure at the rail, but for some reason I was not getting fuel to the cylinders. I had changed Injectors but never disconnected the fuel rail. Didn't make any sense to me why it worked, but just give the starting fluid a shot. You've got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
723 Posts
voodoostang said:

Its like a little urethane bushing that fits between the TPS and the TB housing. the bushing should have came with your new TB...There is a hole for the bushing to fit into in your TB housing...but you can easily put it in backwards(like i did) and the mofo wouldnt start dude...like i said, i could be reaching but everything else sounds right..just something simple and easy to overlook when doing such a big project..easy to fix too:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts