Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any instructions on how to replace the engine control computer in a 95 Cobra mustang. I have recently had issues where my Cobra will just shut off when it is very hot outside - even cruising at highway speeds. Once the vehicle cools down for a period of time it will start up again. Until it does cool down it will just turn over but not fire.It also has developed issues where it is very sluggish when starting up in general. I attempted to access the ECM and it produces just errors when trying to get the codes. It seems that it failing/failed in some aspect. Does anyone have any ideas about this? This is why I am looking to replace it and thus the need for instructions on how to remove it and replace it with a remanufactured one once it can be ordered.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Todd

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sounds like the pickup in the distributor to me. PCM are uncommon most of the time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would look at other causes before I replace the PCM. It should be in the right side kick panel if I'm correct.

·
Registered
256 Posts
+1 on ignition control module. its mounted on the pass. side inner feder in front of the shock tower under ther air cleaner box. quite a common failure and will cause exactly what you describe, and also a fraction of the cost of an ecm. If you are unsure on how to properly test it/dont have the proper testing equipment, and are going to just guess, this is a great place to start.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I was thinking it was located on the side of the distributor but I have been wrong before and it's been 20 years since I looked at a 5.0 pushrod up close

·
Registered
508 Posts
How did you attempt to pull codes?

OBD1 connector is in engine bay, on passenger side strut tower.

No/difficult hot start, cutting out while driving is classic PIP failure symptoms.

ICM failure is not a common occurrence on the 94-95 GT or Cobra.

ECM is located behind passenger side kick panel.
ICM located in engine bay, under air intake tube, in its own heat sink, attached to the passenger side strut tower.
PIP/Pick Up Coil located inside the distributor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts