Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace the seal on my 91'GT. I read through my Chilton to get an idea on what I needed to do and got a little confused. Step 3 (87-93 Chilton pg. 3-93) says: "Carefully punch 2 holes in the crankshaft rear oil seal on oppsite sides of the crankshaft, just above the bearing cap to cylinder block split line. Install a sheet metal screw in each of the holes or use a small slide hammer to pry the crankshaft rear main oil seal from the block." Is that last sentence saying to use the slide hammer attached to the screws and pull the seal that way? If so I will have to go get a slide hammer, which is no big deal, my grandpa always tells me if you need a tool once you will need it again so buy a good one. Also I don't have a seal installer either. Is there something else I can use? If not I will add it to the list. Any advise or tips that you can send my way will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Those instructions sound reasonable...

or carefully press a small to medium size screw driver in between the seal and crank, then pry against the crank... the seal should start to pop out. I just did this an hour ago. The key point is that you don't want to ding up the sealing surface on the crank so use car and a bit of tape or something on the screwdriver or the crank.

Nick

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Here's what I've done......

I've done two. Each time, I used a drill with a tiny (1/8 or smaller) bit, and carefully (so that the bit doesn't wander sideways into the crank or outside edge) drilled a hole in the metal ring of the seal. Then, I started a small sheet-metal screw into the seal. Then, I used a claw hammer and pretended that that screw was a nail that I needed to pull out - cake!

For installation of the new seal, I started it by hand, slowly, and evenly (after applying a light coat of oil to the seal). Then, I used the old seal, turned backwards and against the new seal, to tap in the new seal with a deadblow or rubber mallet - slowly and evenly around the seal.

Wade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts