Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little back story. I’m a new member my name is Shaun. Been lurking for awhile. I have a 63 fairlane. It had a roller 347 with heavily ported 1972 302 heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, dual springs .620 lift. E303 cam. Victor jr intake. Holley 750. Msd pro billet. It was fast and healthy. Well, I sold the car and the new owner had it for a few months and then I saw on Craigslist he had it for sale at a super low price because the engine was destroyed. Number 8 rod out the side of the oil pan. He ran it high rpm, while low on oil. Boom. I bought the car back. Fast forward to today, I have a replacement bone stock 1991 roller cam 5.0. Stock bore and all. Decided to freshen it up with new mains and rod bearings and new rings. All dimensions were mic’d and plastigauged. Stock forged HO pistons with valve reliefs. Going to reuse my heads from the 347, intake, and carb, distributor. Instead of using the e303 cam, I have already bought the summit 303 plus cam it was on sale the other day for pretty cheap thru summit. Hoping the PTV clearance is ok, I will be checking either way. I also have screw in studs and 1.6 roller rockers. Anyways, what do you guys think of my 302 combo should make some decent power I hope compared to the 347.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've read and heard many good things about the 303+ cams and billet cores they are made from and a few guys on here have had good luck swapping to them and even picked up a few tenths at the track. However these cams are ground and made for modern beehive springs so it would be a good idea to match the valve train specifically to the 303+ cam beehive springs retainers etc. Or if you don't want to do that stick with one of the regular alphabet B,E cams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read and heard many good things about the 303+ cams and billet cores they are made from and a few guys on here have had good luck swapping to them and even picked up a few tenths at the track. However these cams are ground and made for modern beehive springs so it would be a good idea to match the valve train specifically to the 303+ cam beehive springs retainers etc. Or if you don't want to do that stick with one of the regular alphabet B,E cams.
Thank you for the reply! I do have the beehive springs on my heads so as far as lift I’m safe. Supposed to get the cam tomorrow. Going to check piston to valve clearance and then hopefully install it. I heard, on a stock bottom end with forged HO pistons with valve reliefs that it should clear the valves. I hope so

·
Registered
246 Posts
Reactions: BruhBrahBrad
1 - 7 of 7 Posts