Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie type Q...

Can one do it w/basic valve tools, or does it require machine shop tools as well as machine shop expertise in cleaning/setting things? I'm looking at upgrading to stronger springs in my 6037's, and was wondering if I have to factor machine shop time or can I do it myself...
thanks,
--C

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You can do it at home. The hard part is keeping the valves closed while you compress the spring. If the heads are off the car you can use a tool that takes the pain away. If they're on the car you either have to have shop air you can use to pressurize the cylinder to keep the valves closed, or you can use the "rope trick" which is filling the cylinder with 3/8 nylon rope and then turning the engine so the piston crams the rope against the valves. PITA but it worked for me, problem was it took longer to get it to work than it did to actually change the springs. Some people say that you can just turn the piston up to TDC and it's close enough to the valves to keep them from moving very far but it didn't work for me. In any case, go to NAPA or somewhere and buy a handful of "keepers", the little things that drop down next to the valve stem to hold the retainers in place. You'll lose some in the process and they're cheap to buy and no good if you don't have them on hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts