Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to replace the fuel filter on my wife's 1998 Mustang with the V6. I've got the new filter but I can't seem to get the old filter out.

What you're supposed to do is pop the retaining clips off the fuel line and filter and then just pull the lines off the filter. Except I can't get the lines to come off no matter how hard I pull. I don't want to pull any harder as I don't want to break anything.

I've heard that you need a special disconnect tool and that you don't. I've also been told to push the lines further onto the filter while turning them but it doesn't seem to work. This should be pretty easy. Anyone know how to replace this thing?

Thanks,

Canadaman

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
98s have the plastic fitting on one side.. and you need a fuel line disconnect on the other... its a 98 thing...

I did one for a friend.... and it was unexpected.. but I have the tools so it was no big deal.

go to a parts store and pick up a set for like $7... called fuel and AC disconnect tools..

·
Registered
634 Posts
ADAM DUGGER RULES

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
please.. no applause.. just throw money...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Adam,

The replacement filter I got doens't have any plastic ends. It's the FRAM G8018 and both ends are metal as is the OEM part. Is that going to need a different tool or do I just use it on both ends of the filter?

I can post a picture of what I've got if that would help. (Assuming I can figure out how to do that)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but where exactly is the fuel filter on a Fox GT? I know it's near the gas tank but is it near the axle or bumper and do you just disconnect the two ends and replace it with the new filter?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The fuel filter on Fox GT's is directly above the center section of the differential, in a bracket bolted to the body.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
And you don't need any special tools on the Fox. Just unscrew your gas cap after letting the car sit for a while, wear gloves and goggles, and don't lie right under the filter. Lines pop off, a little fuel drips out, and you put the new one in. :)

Ash

1 - 9 of 9 Posts