Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Looking for opinions on this estimate I got for the replacement of the engine in my 98 GT....replacing it with a new Factory replacement from Ford, with labor and a couple hundred extra for anything that comes up (new water pump, etc) $4,500.
Is that a fair deal?? Anyone know if Ford will do it cheaper?
Also, to save money is it worth replacing the engine with a used 98 GT engine?? I saw a place on-line (stangparts.com) out of Georgia that sells used engines for $1.700. I need the car back on the road and as inexpensively as possible, but I need as much reliability as possible. This is just a :mad: bad spot to be in.

Anyway, opinions welcome...any advice is worth hearing

Thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Now is the perfect time to upgrade to a 99+ engine. It's not that much more money and it's well worth the power increase you will get. The swap is easy with only a few minor issues to deal with, such as the relocation of the second temp sensor. Anyway, if you decide to stick with a 96-98-headed engine, a Ford dealer is the last place you would want to go. Their reman engines use all stock parts, including the hypereutectic pistons, and are overpriced..........Good luck on whatever you decide...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, well thats an option. How do I find a reliable mechanic to do that sort of work?? Seems like just getting an entire motor is less of a hassle and a lower chance of problems down the road

pthornton said:
Buy a used long block. I dropped a 2000 long block with only 2K miles on it in my 96 vert for $675 shipped and $700 labor. I added headers and made 257 RWHP and 300 RWTQ. Check out this site to search for engines. http://car-part.com/

·
Registered
221 Posts
A longblock doesnt come with front accessories or the intake I believe but anyways jsut get a used 99+ motor out of a GT and swap the engines, use the '98 fuel system and '98 coil pack ignition for less hassle. I did this to mine.

Labor was $1000
2000 GT Motor with 18k miles was only $1500

A lot less money than rebuilding your engine or getting a NEW 98 motor plus you get 35 more ponies, and if you want to swap the exhaust manifold for headers now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Labor = $0.00 if you do it yourself!

Buy a nice longblock out of a wrecked 1999+ GT and put it in your car... just ensure it's in good shape and doesn't have a ton of miles on it.

It will be new ----- for you anyway and you'll have an additional 35hp to start with :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 00 GT long block came with all accessories, heads, intake, throttle body fuel rails, and even the clutch. It had 2000 miles and a 90 guarantee. It costs $675 shipped to me. You can search on the site I listed above and just watch for good prices. The $1500 above would be pretty average for a good 99-00 engine with decent miles. http://car-part.com/ Go to this site and do a search for 1999, Ford Mustang, Engine, All States and check out the prices. Prices range from 650 to 3500. Some include transmissions also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
mikesslow50h said:
see sig for what i did. i couldnt be happier.
Thats what Im gonna try to do to mine but I bought a 2001 shortblock and I dont know if the 96-98 4v heads will work on it without any problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats what Im gonna try to do to mine but I bought a 2001 shortblock and I dont know if the 96-98 4v heads will work on it without any problems.

i dont know if it would work or not, i have absolutly no idea. i got mine compleet from a junkyard type salvage yeard place by my house. it really worked out good because i took all the parts i could from the cobra and put it on my car.

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

Will a 99 or 00 T-45 fit a 96-98 4V motor? I'm also interested in swapping to a 4V for CHEAP! Hoping not to have to buy another tranny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.