Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone replaced the convertible X-Brace? I'm taking about the big-'ol brace under the engine.

The previous owner of my car hit something with it and bent the crap outta the one on my car. There is a matching dent in the oil pan too. That's alright, something else to replace when the motor comes out!

Today I turned off of a paved road onto a dirt road (about 3"-4" drop as I came off the Asphalt) and the tweaked brace bottomed out.:eek:

That is a noise I NEVER want to hear again.

My question is this something that is easily replaceable? I imagine it's just bolted / riveted on. Are their aftermarket pieces available?

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic of mine:

It isn't terrible but it is tweaked and it bugs me. When it bottomed out yesterday it doesn't seem to have affected it any worse :lol:.

BTW, I'm at stock ride height. How the heck do you drive one of these cars when it's lowered? I had a '92 with Eibachs and I swear I had better ground clearance.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you have subframe connectors on the car, just rip it off and forget about it because its a useless piece of excess weight. it is not built rigid enough to serve a purpose anyway. save yourself some cash and lose a couple pounds on the nose. also help you gain more room to work on the motor from underneath.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
showstopper2 said:
If you have subframe connectors on the car, just rip it off and forget about it because its a useless piece of excess weight. it is not built rigid enough to serve a purpose anyway. save yourself some cash and lose a couple pounds on the nose. also help you gain more room to work on the motor from underneath.
That is definately an option. The car has a 2-point k-member brace from the factory and I had Maximum Motorsport full length sub frames installed on Friday.

Someone wit ha 'vert - did you notice a detrimental difference after having removed the x-brace?

Shawn

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was doing about 110 racing a Firechicken on the interstate the other night and while going over an overpass I bottomed out that X piece. It's the only thing that saved my X-pipe. If you are going to lower the car, I say keep it, it's good insurance for your exhaust.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine probably looks that bad, considering that it's been used as a jacking point a lot.

It's funny, I bottom out less with the car lowered than I did at stock ride height. Maybe it's because I'm more careful, but I dunno.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Shawn, I have a vert just like you and ripped it off because it wouldn't fit with my BBK LT's. I hate driving my car at high speeds now; the car feels so much worse at the front end. It's all wobbly. Pretty soon I'll be getting a strut tower brace to fit over my intake. I have subframe connectors installed also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
shawn, try calling maximum motor sports {since you also have their subs}. they have a 4pt "k" brace that may address your concerns. visit their site for a photo. you have to call {or email} as they state it will not fit some brands of long tubes. the cost is actually $99 black. colors 125. it is also lighter, stronger and offers better ground clearence.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Old thread, I know. Does anybody know how to get to the nuts on the outter rear x-brace to body bolts? Need to remove the bolts in order to remove my a-arm bolts, but they are just spinning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts