Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have water spots on my fenders and wing. i want to get rid of the spots. i considered repainting, but my car is original paint in incredible condition, so i ruled that out. if i can get rid of the water spots, i would be in my glory.

this also brings me to the thought of (once spots are gone) how would ziano work on my car? i heard somewhere that it will really bring out inperfections in older cars.

1 other thing. the only flaws in my paint besides the waterspots is a small tool paint chip on the fender, and new new paint chip from the jackass landscapers, is there any way of having those fixed without repainting the whole fender and door???

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a black 94 GT and yesterday I spent about 10 hours detailing the car. I had swirls, scratches and water spots. I went the Zaino route, I was impressed with the results. The car looks awesome. It is a major undertaking however, but when you see the results, it's worth it. Before I gave the car the whole Zaino treatment, I used the Meguiars ScratchX on the entire car, it made the the scratches disappear, the swirls and water spots are gone too! I also used a clay bar, put down 6 coats of the Zaino and Back to Black on the trim, and polished the headlights. I drove around today for a few hours I was so happy. Fo the paint chips, you might try www.langka.com they have a repair kit I read good things about. I have not tried it but I have some chips I would like to fix soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car has no swirl marks, i just wanted to see if i could step it up a notch from where i am... if its possible.

here is mothers sealer and glaze, i figure between 50-70 coats of it. i never wax it, just polish it. it gets polished twice a week, and this car has never been touch by anything but mothers products..

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks like you got a nice shine going on. I don't think repainting it would be worth it. If you polish it twice a week, I'm sure it's in good shape. A good paint job could run between $2K-3K to a really nice one $5K-$6K. I am trying to post some pics of my car, which I think looks pretty good for a 9 year old daily driver, with 220,000+miles and is not garaged. I keep getting an error message when I try to post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was able to post pics in the gallery, but it still won't let me add attachmens to posts. I put some pics in of last week after I used the Zaino, and some of the weather it gets sitting outside my place.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Zaino itself won't remove the water spots. You'll have to either claybar it and/or buff it. The prep before Zaino will make or break it. It will shine like a mofo though. I don't think you'll have any big problems with it showing any imperfections any worse than any other polish.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see you guys talking about waterspots and I want to know what to use to get rid of them. I just buffed it with a buffer this weekend using meguiers gold glass clear coat wax but there are still water spots on the hood and top. The sides look great. My car was just painted in 95 and theres nothing wrong with it but those d#$m spots. Help me [email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can try a clay bar or white vinegar to remove water spots. If that doesn't work then they have etched the paint, then a mild abrasive will be needed to try and buff them out. Get the car looking as best you can, wash with Dawn, clay the car real well, rewash, then Zaino away.

Zaino will help protect the finish better than anything else along with giving you a great shine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I first started Zaino'ing my Lightning, it had mild waterspots on the hood. I had to buff it using 3M fine buffing compound because that had gone into the paint slightly. You can tell how bad they are by looking at them. If they are cloudy white and are obviously on tip of the paint, regular cleaner wax will work if tey don't wash right off. If there are low spots around the edges of them, most likely they are into the paint.
The first time you Zaino is the hardest because you have the extra task of prepping the paint. So take your time and get it right from the start. The better prep you do, the better overall results you'll get in the end. Once your car is Zaino'd, getting thtis stuff off is much easier. I have no new water spots since Zaino'ing.
You used Meg Gold clear coat wax, that probably is a carnuba based waxed with no cleaniners. I'd try some Meguire's cleaner wax first. I have had good luck with that and very minor surface water spots.
I always recommend to start easy and work your way up until you get the results you are looking for. On my cars that were bought with water spots, I've never had to go above the 3M buffing compound. But when I detailed cars, I've had to go as far as wet sanding they were so bad.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my water spots are etched in. im afraid to take anything harsh to the paint, i dont want to scratch it. there isnt a single swirl mark on my car, i dont want to create any..

What do i do?!?

·
Registered
329 Posts
craigm1841 said:
my water spots are etched in. im afraid to take anything harsh to the paint, i dont want to scratch it. there isnt a single swirl mark on my car, i dont want to create any..

What do i do?!?
Well, if they are etched in, you are looking at having to high speed buff it with compound at the least and possibly wet sanding. It is hard to tell without seeing the paint in person.
The process for high speed buffing is pretty simple. Start with the coursest compound you need to get rid of the water spots, then work your way to less course compound. Each one will remove swirls, etc from the previous one.
If you aren't comfortable with high speed buffing, I would definately recommend taking it to a detail shop and have them do just the buffing. You can really mess up the paint if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have professionally detailed before. i have taken wheels to other cars. i havnt done it in so long, and im still a little shakey on black. especially when its my own car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts