Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew what had to be done in order to remove the smog pump or if anyone has done this. I'm taking it off a stock 2.3 looking for a little extra power and heard this could bump it up some. Have I heard wrong? Also, if anyone knows anything about the ranger tube headers fitting on the 2.3 to replace the exhaust manifod?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It's a pretty easy job, considering you don't have a smog pump. :p

Ash

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
then exactly what is the tube going from the exhaust manifold to the back of the egr valve?, and what is the smog cannister doing at the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side? keep in mind this is a 93 LX CVT.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
that is the exhaust gas supply for the EGR...

if there is a smog pump in there it sure did a good job hiding from me when I stripped the front of the car down to the frame rails :p

in the front on the pass side the black canister is your carbon canister which stores gasoline vapors given off by the fuel tank, to be metered into the intake to be burned off. It can be removed but you must install a fully vented gas cap and plug the line leading under the car, or put a vent in that same line. (to accomodate expanding fuel vapor or to pull in air while fuel is pumped out)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically that tube is nothing more than a means to return unburned vapors to the crankcase and try to reburn then in an effort to reduce pollution output... hmmm... so what exactly would happen if i were to take it off? The EGR return tube that is? Any forseeable problems since it is nothing but a vapor reburner? Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
stu11926 said:
Robert Jordan fan?
Damn right. :D 'S not my real name. ;)

Ash

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cagmire93LX said:
So basically that tube is nothing more than a means to return unburned vapors to the crankcase and try to reburn then in an effort to reduce pollution output... hmmm... so what exactly would happen if i were to take it off? The EGR return tube that is? Any forseeable problems since it is nothing but a vapor reburner? Thanks guys :D
well you gotta plug both ends or youll end up with a vaccum leak or an exhuast leak. You wont pass smog if your ina area that has a visual. Also the fact that those who have removed it didnt gain or lose hp ...basicly a waste of time~

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
that tube returns some gas to the intake, you don't need to pump stuff into the crankcase which is just the space inside the motor under the pistons that houses the crankshaft and connecting rods (accessible by removing oilpan). The exhaust gas is metered into the intake when the engine is under low load, to displace oxygen to reduce the chance of detonation while increasing cylinder pressure for more complete combustion. The EGR has not been working on mine for 2 years and I never saw anything bad come of it so it is getting removed altogether.

To remove it, remove that pipe and the EGR valve it leads to. Cap off the exhaust manifold nipple and make a plate to block off the hole in the intake. Trace the vaccuum line that was on the EGR valve to the thing on the passenger side strut tower, and remove that. Then trace the other vaccuum line attached to that thing back to where it plugs into the vaccuum manifold on the firewall, and remove both vaccuum lines and plug the nipple on the firewall. The absence of EGR valve and vaccuum solenoid will trip the check engine light though.

as to the crankcase, there IS emissions stuff on there called PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) which is basically a path between there and the intake so as combustion gas blows by the piston it gets sucked into the intake and re-burned. That should be left alone as it doesn't hurt performance as long as it isn't spewing oil into the intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts