Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is stupid, but I have a stuck brake drum that I can't get off. I have the adjustment wheel all the way in, the emergency brake off, and I can't get the thing off. I can get the other side off just fine. Any tricks to breaking this thing loose? I wanted to double check my install one more time before I bled everything, but couldn't get it off. Or will bleeding help loosen things up?

Any help would be appreciated.
Matty

PS It will turn, but the shoes are dragging a bunch. Haven't actually driven it yet.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
beat it with a hammer... not a cheap hammer but a REAL hammer!! it always works but depending on how "stuck" it is it will take time... I was in the junk yard w/ a friend of mine and it took about an hour to get 1 stuck drum off, then I had a stuck drum on my car and it took all of 10secounds!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Hit it with a hammer but you need to hit in the right spots, hit right between the studs this is where the rust always buildsup, a few good licks right between the studs and you will be fine!:)

G

·
Right rear?

I also have an '89 convertable, and had fits trying to remove the right drum. The left came right off, but the right side shoes had worn a deep groove into the drum, effectivly locking the darn drum on the axle. Looked like the drum had worn instead of the shoes.

It took a couple hours with a BIG frigging hammer, and a bigger pry bar, but it did come off.

Good Luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Donls, where did you stick the pry bar in order to not bend the backing plate as you pulled? I'm hopefully going to get it off tonight. All this just to double check everything. Funny thing is, it went on fine. I didn't have to force it or anything. Something must have slipped after I got it on.

Thanks again.
Matty

·
Registered
224 Posts
Then for future problems with drums......install discs on the rear :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: Exactly! So many projects, so little moola!

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.