Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What and where is this silencer that everyone is talking about in the intake system? I have a 93 GT w/ 373 gears king cobra clutch,ripper shifter, off-road h-pipe, headers what more can I do to get a little more power without spending an arm and a leg? I am new to the mustang world and I am loving it. thanks for the help. chris

·
Registered
270 Posts
It sits in the inner fenderwell, right behind the factory airbox, where the air filter goes. Remove the airbox completely and you will see the unbolt it and drop it down and out. You will have to snake it out, patience here. HP gains? Maybe 3-5, being optimistic. Pros? Allows more air to flow thru the K&N, to the engine.

edit - For more freebies or real cheap stuff, bump the timing up until you hear detonation, then back it off until you don't hear anything. Should be good to 12 - 14 degrees, and you'll have to run super unleaded to prevent detonation and this add maybe 5-10 HP. Get a 180 degree thermostat, cooler engine will run better, more power. Shaving weight is always free, after that, you'll have to start laying down some $$$$$$$.

Matt

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Documented removing silencer and stock airbox leaving inlet tube open (no airfilter) .4 in 1/4 on stock 86 GT AOD:joy:

·
Registered
797 Posts
As far as the thermostat, I wouldn't go below a 190, in my experiences, the 180 is too cold and the car does not get out of the warmup mode.....

You can always make sure that your TP sensor is set to .97 volts, add a tank of fuel injection cleaner, change your fuel filter and plugs...... It all adds up.

The two biggest gains will be the timing and the silencer.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ludicrous Speed said:
As far as the thermostat, I wouldn't go below a 190, in my experiences, the 180 is too cold and the car does not get out of the warmup mode.....
Yup, i completely agree, while running the 180* stat, i burned atrocious amounts of gas. Another way to free up some ponies is to run synthetic oil, i've seen tests where stock 5.0s have gained 8hp at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
lol...if you are lucky you still have one! That means the previous owner wasnt into REALLY rearing into stuff (or he was just ignorant)

anyways, unbolt that POS, and drop it down through the botton of the fender. 15 minute mod, doubt you will notice power gains but it makes a cool whooshing sound now :lol:

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
I have two Silencers stashed away. One from my own car and one from a friends.

You wait and see! 20 years from now they will be worth big $$$ to someone wanting to put their car back to original specs! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
no kidding...everyone is ripping them out and burning them, they will be like finding a 20 dollar bill on the ground in a few years...lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts