Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To check for a bent valve I might have, I have to take the heads off, I figured Id say myself some money and take them off myself. Is this an easy job to do? Im pretty inclined when it comes to working with my hands. Any tips, or advice on what NOT to do?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
is it a carbed car or injected?

anyways remove uppper and lower intake, and valve covers...drain water..remove header bolts and any accessories attached to the heads...remove, the rockers and pushrods. Take the heads out....not very hard...dont it myself about 3 times..just make sure to organize your bolts so you do not lose track of them

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
also..you can check your own valves to see if they are bent, which i also did for the very first time,,not hard at all either (just requires a budddy to help you hold down the head and a light. but thats a whole other thing ...since you didnt really ask that i wont change the topic

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is carb'd, and as of now, the heads are open, the valve covers arent even on.......But since you mentioned it, how would one check to see if the valves are bent?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if the heads are still on the car and you still have the intake on it ( in other words the motor is assembled along with properly set rockers) take out all the spark plugs and put a compression tester into one of the spark plug holes (testing each one by one). then turn the motor over , having a friend look at the guage. if the guage hold's the normal compression then the valves are fine... if it holds SOME compression and slowly loses or hold nothing then ..those valves are bent/bad or you have very badly set rockers.

if the heads are off the block already or you want to check them while they are off the block thats another story...do you need that situation explaind??

·
Registered
956 Posts
Heads are easy to remove. IMHO the hardest part is removing the stupid hard line that goes to the heater core!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The easiest way to find a bent valve would have been to do a leak down test while everything was still assembled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts