Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a T5z on the way to replace my broken T5... when Replacing the tranny, Can I just unbolt the T5 from the mounts and the bellhousing, and put the new one right back in its place? Or will I have to pul the bellhousing off? Will I need to re align my clutch?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Well, there's a little more to it than that (like removing the shifter, the driveshaft, the h-pipe and so on) but no, you do not have to remove the bellhousing nor do you have to mess with the clutch. The exception being if you can't get the new trans to seat the last 1/4 inch or so, leave it there and have a helper press the clutch pedal, it'll slip right in the rest of the way.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there's a little more to it than that (like removing the shifter, the driveshaft, the h-pipe and so on) but no, you do not have to remove the bellhousing nor do you have to mess with the clutch. The exception being if you can't get the new trans to seat the last 1/4 inch or so, leave it there and have a helper press the clutch pedal, it'll slip right in the rest of the way.
Yeah, I knew about the driveshaft, shifter ect... But thanks for the info about the last 1/4 inch. Hopfully It will go In smooth. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had problems with my bellhousing as the circle hole was actually on the small size. This made it tough to get the trans in that last 1/8" or so beacuse the input shaft retainer was a tight fit in the hole, it's supposed to be a exact snug fit, not have to force.

On top of that, my new T-5z had an out of spec steel retainer which was over 0.020 too large. I ended up breaking the bellhousing. If it wont go in fairly easy, get some calipers and double check the bellhouisng hole and trans input retainer before struggling too much.

The steel retainers are an aftermarket piece, my problem was probably very rare, but the OD is not normally checked and there are +/- tolerences there to deal with. The inside dimensions were ok, just someone forgot to machine the OD down to spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts