Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is first start with ProM system. I have both spark and fuel but is not starting. It’s turning over and I will get a little pop like it wants to start to me it sounds like timing but I checked it twice and it’s right where it needs to be. So I am on here asking what I can check.
always start with the simplest and the cheapest (spark plugs) i recently pulled my plugs just to find they had not been gaped
properly as the box indicated went with acel spark plugs and some other goodies and hello the beast is back so start with
that and if you say you are getting fuel (fuel pump filteretc)then check your ignition coil then your distributor while i am
not into throwing parts at a car unfortunately sometimes with this beast it is neccesary

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I am running coil on plug there are 8 coils and they are working properly. Plugs are good. Distributor is good.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
a brand new ford dizzy doesn't exist. id at least get a reman one that has ford guts in it and a ford signal wheel in it. aftermarket distributors with crap guts aren't know for their quality.
this is covered in the instructions.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
a brand new ford dizzy doesn't exist. id at least get a reman one that has ford guts in it and a ford signal wheel in it. aftermarket distributors with crap guts aren't know for their quality.
this is covered in the instructions.
You know what i mean

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am running coil on plug there are 8 coils and they are working properly. Plugs are good. Distributor is good.
sounds like you have some pretty fauncy stuff on your car its my experience that the fox body is a beautiful yet primitive beast and prefers it that way i saw your car it is nice but even so all fire breathing beasts operate on 3 things air,fuel,spark are you sure your fuel pump and regulator are good

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like you have some pretty fauncy stuff on your car its my experience that the fox body is a beautiful yet primitive beast and prefers it that way i saw your car it is nice but even so all fire breathing beasts operate on 3 things air,fuel,spark are you sure your fuel pump and regulator are good
also try moving your distributor around my guess if its not catching then the wires or something are in the wrong position to ignite

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Saturday update:
Injectors cleaned and tested. I re wrote tune just in case. The car will start with the intake tube almost all the way off idles high for about 40 seconds and shuts off. Then it won’t do anything but turn over afterwards. If I let it sit it seems to want to start better. To me it is loading up with fuel or something. Could it also be something in my injector parameters
Is off? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,653 Posts
Saturday update:
Injectors cleaned and tested. I re wrote tune just in case. The car will start with the intake tube almost all the way off idles high for about 40 seconds and shuts off. Then it won’t do anything but turn over afterwards. If I let it sit it seems to want to start better. To me it is loading up with fuel or something. Could it also be something in my injector parameters
Is off? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Do you have a local shop you know or that can help sort you out?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yes 40 psi. Tune is just the tune Pro M gave me as a startup tune.
I understand what you are saying Stangdawg but in reality, I don't trust anyone messing with my car when I am not there This is not my first time in this situation. I have had dozens of cars and with patience and working through things I am always able to figure it out rather than pay someone to do it for me. I built this car over the last 2 years mainly by myself and for me to give up and have some fix it for me just not in my credo.

·
Banned
2,774 Posts
Now that you are back at 40psi, did you start over on the instructions with a clear slate? Will it stay running with some throttle?

I do remember early on I had a similar issue. Once I got the timing sorted out, I would start the car and then it would die. I think it had to do with the car having an auto trans but maybe not. Chris had to make some changes and send a new file.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I will give it try today and give an update. If I can avoid asking Chris for help if you know what I mean. I am Running a T56 he did have to make a change to the supplemental harness, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I did get some DTC codes that I cleared. I will post those as well. Thank for the help.

Reactions: Foot Hill
41 - 60 of 70 Posts