Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that releasing that gas in the atmosphere is illegal....what do you guys do?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I always empty and fill my own a/c. You have to let out the freon slow or else you will suck all the oil out of the compressor or it would freeze up on you. I have special tools to do this with though that my grandfather had when he used to do it for a living. You can still let it out without them though but let it out slow!(unless you are never going to use it anymore)

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Take it to a place, have them recover the freon and pay you for the quantity they recover.

IF your going to do it in your back yard, tell me when and where. I can use the $1000.00 reward.

Penalties for intentional release are $2500.00 fine for an individual, and $250,000.00 for a corperation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pay me for what they recover? the shop told me 25 bucks just to drain it...how does that work?

·
Registered
665 Posts
On the lines that we have to hook up to your cars lines, we take a empty bottle of freon and connect it on the other end, open the lines and what we take out of your system is emptied into our can. They will reuse it and sale your freon to someone else.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Yup, what he said.... normally a reputable place will give you credit/money for the weight of freon removed. 3lbs, @ $20.00 a lb, your in for $60.00 credit. $25.00 service fee for evacuating the system, you still have $35.00 in your pocket. Lots better than blowing it all out into the air.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
As of last year it was still NOT illeagle to vent R134a into the atmosphere. However R12 contains CFCs which cannot legally be relaesed, There IS or WAS a loophole in the law though that permited you to release R12 out of YOUR vehicle as long as it was on YOUR property and was in NO way done for financial gain. R134a is not as heavily regulated as the refrigerants containing CFCs yet. Here is just a little information about R134a that alot of people dont know. First its a defoiliant(kills vegitation) second can explode when in a vacume and moisture is present. R12 and other CFCs supposedly causes depletion of the ozone, This is not a proven fact though

Keep in mind though that when dealing with any Govt agency the burden of proof is ultimately upon you, Not them. I am also in no way encouraging you to break any local, state, national or international laws.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Smokedawg said:
On the lines that we have to hook up to your cars lines, we take a empty bottle of freon and connect it on the other end, open the lines and what we take out of your system is emptied into our can. They will reuse it and sale your freon to someone else.
A recovery unit is just a tad more complex than that, It contains a compressor which pulls the freon from the system. We at our dealership do not resell recovered refrigerants at all. There is too much Liability from the possibility of contaminated freon(contaminated with FR12, R500, other rogue refrigerants etc.) being put back into a repaired system causing either a failure or a impropperly functioning system.

·
Registered
379 Posts
tumm37 said:
i know that releasing that gas in the atmosphere is illegal....what do you guys do?
Personally,........I would just bleed it off and be done with it,.......but that's just me. I'm not much for some yahoo grease monkey at a local garge turning wrenches on my car. :p

The main thing I would do is , Keep my mouth shut about it !! There's certain things you shouldn't talk about on the net, muchless on this site,..............and this is a prime example

Some of the people on this board sound like they work for the EPA!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I agree with the previous statement. If you know it's illegal, there's your answer. Noone here wants to go on record telling you to discharge it. What I do is irrelevant to you because I'm not going to post that on here. If you don't know what you're doing, for your own safety it's best to take it somewhere. Do it wrong at home, not only is it illegal, you might ruin your system and freeze a couple of fingers off.

·
Registered
35,603 Posts
If it's an R12 system and you plan on having it recharged, you oughta check out the price of fresh R12 before you proceed. It's extremely expensive. My brother's shop won't even quote a repair price on an R12 system until they check the price of the stuff - and the price varies sometimes daily - as much as $50 to $75/lb -- and you probably need at least a couple of pounds to charge the system. Usually, if you let a place discharge it for you (they actually suck it out of the system), you can cut a deal for a recharge at a reasonable price, at least that's what I've found.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't believe that "Ozone Depletion" hype, it's a$$ cold here in Virginia - I say let it free, and bump us all up a few degrees! But like Clinton, don't inhale it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ah - I forgot about that - Global Warming is due to the gas clouds thickening and keeping in the heat, and Ozone depletion means more UV rays get through to the earth... is that right? So releasing Freon into the air depletes the Ozone layer...and we can make up for that by running our lawnmowers more in the summer to increase the gas layer, and it all evens out in the end...maybe I am way off!

What about all those third-world countries exempt from any pollution controls, because they would be too costly for them to implement and them compete in the global markets...doesn't make much sense. Not that two wrongs make a right, but it seems silly to pick on a guy releasing a small amount of freon (from a 10 year old car) when you leave entire nations to do whatever they want.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i did my part to help save the environmnet...took it to the shop and got it drained properly...didnt cost me anything and there saving it for me when i refill...should i reuse my old freon?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
RED92LX50 said:
Ah - I forgot about that - Global Warming is due to the gas clouds thickening and keeping in the heat, and Ozone depletion means more UV rays get through to the earth... is that right? So releasing Freon into the air depletes the Ozone layer...and we can make up for that by running our lawnmowers more in the summer to increase the gas layer, and it all evens out in the end...maybe I am way off!

What about all those third-world countries exempt from any pollution controls, because they would be too costly for them to implement and them compete in the global markets...doesn't make much sense. Not that two wrongs make a right, but it seems silly to pick on a guy releasing a small amount of freon (from a 10 year old car) when you leave entire nations to do whatever they want.
Well, you are way off on the first paragraph, but I'll just assume it's a joke rather than a serious inquiry. I don't mean to pick on anyone for draining thier freon, I think it's all bs, but I also know it would be very foolish for anyone to admit to doing it on this board, or advise someone else to do it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd suggest taking it to a small repair shop and let the owner take the R12 (if that is what you have). If they pay you, great. I find that these people will help you down the road if you need it - they will remember how you helped them. A good relationship with a guy that has a shop with a lift, etc can be of benefit to you.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
tumm37 said:
well i did my part to help save the environmnet...took it to the shop and got it drained properly...didnt cost me anything and there saving it for me when i refill...should i reuse my old freon?
I would...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts