Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone found out what kind of current draw these fans have on startup, and rigged up some proper relays to start them up?

I'll probably use a V6 fan, single speed.

Is it possible to pirate the stock relays off the parts car?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
That's exactly what I did. I'm using a dual fan set-up from a Focus. I just snagged the high speed fan relay out of the car and wired that in. No problems at all.

Measured the start-up draw....109 amps. At idle, with the fan running, it's drawing close to 40 amps on the high speed.

It pulled enough juice to send the stock alternator into a groaning fit of rage and bogged the engine almost 400rpm.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
How's that fan working out for you? I'm going to need a different fan than what I've got (lincoln late 80's fan) and I'm exploring my options.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have zero cpmplaints with teh fan Paul. Best part was I scored it free but other than that I'm pleased. Keeps the 408 cold. 160 degrees all day long idling/driving. On a run down the highway I've had it as low as 152 in the heat of summer. It pulls the air and covers about 90% of my Griffen 31x19 rad. Pretty amazing for a 4 banger equipped car's fan.

I did have a 3 core copper/brass and 16" single fan in it originally but it was a cooling nightmare. Just wouldn't keep it under 210 with that set-up.

Bad pic but you can kind of see it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah, I have a 3 core brass radiator with a single fan and the temp keeps creeping after the engine warms up, even with the fan running constantly. It even did it in low 60 degree air when I ran it last week, so its just not gonna cut the mustard.

I think I'm going to change to a 180 degree thermostat first, and see how it acts then, but I'll probably end up getting another fan (most likely a Mark VIII)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts